"SEH: Access Violation" after downloading Writer

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
MorganK

"SEH: Access Violation" after downloading Writer

Post by MorganK »

I tried looking for a similar thread about post-download issues, but none addressed this specific issue (most were people getting this error while using the software...I haven't even gotten that far yet!).

I just downloaded OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 and when I went to open a previously-saved Word document in Writer, I got an "SEH Exception: Access Violation" error, which then closed out Writer. Do you know why this is? Do I need to convert all documents to .odt? How would I do that if that is the case?

I'm continuously editing my resume and creating cover letters, so I want to make sure it is compatible with Word. I do get nervous about losing the Word format forever.

Thank you,
MorganK
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: "SEH: Access Violation" after downloading Writer

Post by Zizi64 »

I'm continuously editing my resume and creating cover letters, so I want to make sure it is compatible with Word. I do get nervous about losing the Word format forever.
There is not (never was and never will be) 100% compatibility between the different document formats, and between the different Office Suite softwares. You will loose some formatiing properties when you edit a document with an another editor software.

I just downloaded OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 and when I went to open a previously-saved Word document in Writer, I got an "SEH Exception: Access Violation" error, which then closed out Writer. Do you know why this is?
Because you are using Windows 10. There are many-many problems related to the Win10 - just search the words "Windows 10 rights" in this forum.
search.php?keywords=Windows+10+rights
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.