[Solved] Printer Prints only blank pages in OpenOffice 4.1.4

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
MrBill123

[Solved] Printer Prints only blank pages in OpenOffice 4.1.4

Post by MrBill123 »

**SOLVED**. Can someone please help (and as simple and basic as ness please)... Printer works except for OopenOffice 4.1.4 use. Printing only blank pages. Help. Please (if possible) simplify. *****After three hours ***** There was some type of interface communication problem with the printer/perhaps-even-a-faulty-cartridge-?/ and the *reading of the ink level....it showed it had 1/3 rd left?? Thanks to all....
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved] [robleyd, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.1.4
RoryOF

Re: Printer Prints only blank pages in OpenOffice 4.1.4

Post by RoryOF »

What operating system? Windows? (what version), Mac (version) or Linux (version?)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

Windows 10
OpenOffice 4.1.4
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Printer problems are common with Windows 10. Visit the printer manufacturer's site and download and install the latest drivers for your exact printer model. Then restart Windows. Win 10 often seems to install the wrong (or a generic) printer driver.
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

Printer works fine with all other programs, except OpenOffice
OpenOffice 4.1.4
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

Restarted computer. Printed from several other programs and printer works but still only blank pages from OpenOffice 4.1.4. Please help...
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Can someone please help (and as simple and basic as ness please)... Printer works except for OopenOffice 4.1.4 use. Printing only blank pages. Help. Please (if possible) simplify.
Workaround tips:

- Try the LibreOffice
- Export your documents into PDF format, and try to print them from a PDF reader software.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

I appreciate your help and I know I'm a novice.... LibreOffice? I don't understand. How would I "export documents" and put them into "PDF form" in OpenOffice...
OpenOffice 4.1.4
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Did you download and install the correct driver for your printer as I suggested?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

LibreOffice? I don't understand.
The LibreOffice is a fork of the Openoffice. It is a very similar to the AOO, but that was developed by an another developing group, and it has a littlebit higher compatibility with the foraign fileformats and macros.

https://www.libreoffice.org/
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Select File>Page Preview. Do you see anything on the preview page?
If so, try printing from the preview page.
What type of document are you trying to print ?
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

How would I "export documents"
Just use the PDF export function (click on the PDF icon on the ttolbar, or use the menu item "File - Export as PDF..."

and put them into "PDF form" in OpenOffice...
I never wrote any "PDF form" related sentences...
Open the exported PDF with a PDF reader software like the Adobe Reader, or the Foxit Reader or other, and try to print it from the reader software.
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

Rory...I have an Hp Envy 4512 and I'm unsure of how to do that?
OpenOffice 4.1.4
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

Zizi.. tried PDF and same results..so? Back to Rory... ? Drivers? How do I do that?
OpenOffice 4.1.4
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

Hello? Rory? Zizi? anyone? Downloaded the drivers for my printer and.................same happens... blank pages... it must? be settings in openoffice?? Help...please...
OpenOffice 4.1.4
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

Hmmmmm? I was honest, polite and appreciated the help and... interesting how it turned out... it's only OpenOffice that caused the printing problem and I downloaded the drivers and although I didn't at first understand fully... i did comply in every way asked *except getting LibreOffice BUT... for others.... those who ever encounter the same problem... this (now) has to be a setting within OpenOffice... I will find it and I will return with the answer *for *you... one way or another, as a volunteer should. Not just give form/pat answers and then leave the person hanging.. May God Bless
OpenOffice 4.1.4
merlijn

Post by merlijn »

Maybe a little bit more information is needed.
You say that other programs print fine, only OpenOffice does not.
Is it just one specific file that does not print right or do all your OpenOffice files print blank pages?
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 x64
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

MrBill123, please upload an ODF type problematic document file here. The file size limit is 128 KiB in this Forum. Delete the sensitive contents from the file.
merlijn

Post by merlijn »

Hello Zizi,
We do not know yet if it is a problem with the specific file, it could also be a corrupted user profile, in which case the user profile needs to be reset.
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

all files print blank pages in OpenOffice .... three other programs print without problem
OpenOffice 4.1.4
merlijn

Post by merlijn »

You could try to reset the user profile, that cures a lot of weird OpenOffice behaviour.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

...adding... preview page looks fine...
OpenOffice 4.1.4
merlijn

Post by merlijn »

what type of file are you trying to print? Text (Writer) or Spreadsheet (Calc)? or other?
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

Well, at least I wasn't left hanging and for that I am thankful and with some (I believe legitimate) remorse but now... I've reached the point of not being able to trust the forum.. enough is enough...I'm a novice and I just can't get into this "user profile/change/cure" stuff being suggested..I downloaded drivers, updated to 4.1.5, I printed the PDF (and correctly so Zizi)...and finally...) I am thankful but I just flat out can say.. I leave thinking / believing that it was and is a SIMPLE SETTING problem. We all have opinions and I respected all received I just hope mine is respected too... for all involved as well as others...
OpenOffice 4.1.4
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

TEXT. Simple OO stuff..
OpenOffice 4.1.4
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

I'm still here... and waiting/watching ... I have limits to how far I will go though in "curing" the problem... I have spent so much time here.. and even though it seems I may not be appreciative, I Am. I just feel a little abandoned.. there have been other similar forums from the past on this topic and they ended the same way... now..................... in case I am left now... for anyone searching for this problem... ya gotta ask yourself? Is it worth it? I believe MERL is till hanging around (that's what the current status shows ?? but.. ?? the knowledge data base seems to be guessing / lacking here... and if they ban me or eliminate this conversation, will it have been beneficial?
OpenOffice 4.1.4
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

MrBill123 wrote:Well, at least I wasn't left hanging and for that I am thankful and with some (I believe legitimate) remorse but now... I've reached the point of not being able to trust the forum.. enough is enough...I'm a novice and I just can't get into this "user profile/change/cure" stuff being suggested..I downloaded drivers, updated to 4.1.5, I printed the PDF (and correctly so Zizi)...and finally...) I am thankful but I just flat out can say.. I leave thinking / believing that it was and is a SIMPLE SETTING problem. We all have opinions and I respected all received I just hope mine is respected too... for all involved as well as others...
What makes you think you are not respected? Bear in mind that answers on the forum are provided as a pro bono service, in our own time. We all have demands on our time, for which we do not have to explain or apologise and cannot always give continual attention to a problem.
merlijn

Post by merlijn »

Still think resetting the user profiile is worth a try. Or you could follow Zizi's suggestion and upload the file, so somebody can take a look at it and see if there is something wrong with it. (Be careful with personal/sensitive content).
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

what is the process to upload here...
OpenOffice 4.1.4
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

The link to resetting the user profile can be confusing since it tries to cover all the different operating systems.

For Windows 10 exit all your OpenOffice documents. Look on your taskbar along the bottom of the screen and make sure there is nothing there related to OpenOffice, if there is close it.
Now copy the next line into the clipboard
%appdata%\OpenOffice\4

Next open the Windows File Explorer.
In the Address box click in the blank area to the right of > Quick Access
Paste the string from the clipboard into the Address box and press Enter.
You should see a directory named User.
Rename it to UserOld.
Now open one of your troublesome documents.
You should get the registration page asking for your Name and other information.
Once you have completed that your document should open.
Now try printing.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11