Monopoly

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
RobertP2

Monopoly

Post by RobertP2 »

I installed /home/robert/Downloads/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.5_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz on Ubuntu 17.10 later 18.04.

The installation was very difficult because of lack of install script and no documentation as the dependencies of bogs of codes (if they were modules then they could be installed by the normal Ubuntu package manager).

Then nothing. I searched the documentation on how to actually run the code since OpenOffice had not been added to the Applications menu. I found that there is a severe attitude problem! APACHE OPENOFFICE DOES NOT PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS!

I used open office on Windows because I was disgusted with Microsoft. (I wonder if Windows 10 attempts to force me to use Microsoft Office is a violation of the court order?)

There is no reason that both the pre-installed LibreOffice and OpenOffice cannot co-exist on the same machine. It is an attitude in your developers; they demand that LibreOffice be uninstalled of at least disconnected from the menu. They want to be the one-and-only application. They want a monopoly and total control.

I think this attitude is just wrong! I did not like this attitude from Microsoft! I don't like it from Apache!

I will not use it until your coders agree to play well with others.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic from Beginners forum to Linux
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 64-bit
RoryOF

Re: Monopoly

Post by RoryOF »

There is an installation tutorial at
[Tutorial] Installing Apache OpenOffice on GNU/Linux

In brief, unpack the downloaded file, then in the unpacked folder, change into the DEBS folder; in a terminal run

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
and the OO components will appear in the Office folder.

It is possible to run OO and LibO side by side - one needs to adjust one file as far as I remember - I don't need to run both, so cannot advise what adjustment.

Your choice!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

RobertP2 wrote:I found that there is a severe attitude problem! APACHE OPENOFFICE DOES NOT PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS!
[...]
For the record, we are users like you. We don't have any coder here (and the actual AOO devs don't visit the forum anyway).
Before barking the wrong tree, learn how to use your OS.
And the issue with an LO installation is not raelly AOO devs fault, it's a bit more complex. Some topics in the forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

RobertP2 wrote:I will not use it until your coders agree to play well with others.
In that case, I guess you're going to be using an Office system that I have yet to hear of.
I have used various Office systems over the years (going back to about 1975) and have never found a system that didn't like something with another system.
In fact, in my opinion, OpenOffice/LibreOffice have the best "friendship" with other programs that I have seen.... and even friends disagree/argue at times.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

RoryOF wrote:There is an installation tutorial at
[Tutorial] Installing Apache OpenOffice on GNU/Linux

In brief, unpack the downloaded file, then in the unpacked folder, change into the DEBS folder; in a terminal run

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
and the OO components will appear in the Office folder.

It is possible to run OO and LibO side by side - one needs to adjust one file as far as I remember - I don't need to run both, so cannot advise what adjustment.
I recently installed AOO 4.1.5 on Ubuntu MATE 18.04 without uninstalling LO. A forum search for debian install menu found instructions which worked for me. I don't know if they will work on vanilla Ubuntu 18.04.

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite *.deb
Re: Minor menu problem in Linux.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04