My Recent Documents

Discuss the word processor
mcfeeeb

My Recent Documents

Post by mcfeeeb »

My system is Windows XP Pro, fully updated.

There are many that use this computer and they get confused when opening documents from the open folder. They are not paying attention that they are looking in the My Recent Documents folder instead of My Documents. I have taken the My Recent Documents folder off of the computer itself but I see that OO still shows it as an option.

Is there a way to remove the option in OO?

Thank you in Advance.

Ed
TerryE
Volunteer

Re: My Recent Documents

Post by TerryE »

As a matter of good practice separate users should each have their own account on the computer. This way the OOo context and the windows context are private to each user. If you don't do this then you sould be surprised that the users get confused. Next
  • My Documents is a physical folder hierarchy within the users folder tree in Documents and Settings.
  • My Recent Documents is used to store shortcuts to any documents opened through Explorer or the File->Run menu. The files themselves would be typically stored in a sub-folder of My Documents or a shared folder.
  • OOo File->Recent Documents is used to store reference to any file opened or saved by OOo and OOo alone.
Hence the three serve different and complimentary purposes.
Ubuntu 11.04-x64 + LibreOffice 3 and MS free except the boss's Notebook which runs XP + OOo 3.3.
mcfeeeb

Re: My Recent Documents

Post by mcfeeeb »

Terry,

Thanks for responding.
These are shared workstations that have had the My Recent Documents folder in the start menu removed. Seperate accounts are not an option per our superviser. We both know it is possible. But thats the way they want it, not my choice. The problem is that OOo has, I think, substituted itself as that folder. When we use open file there is a folder labled My Recent Documents and it shows all documents opened on the computer not just OOo. i.e. mp3, wmv, wma, lotus, Visio and such.
This is where the confusion come in. If you try to open from this folder you are asked to apply a filter as to how OOo will handle the file. None of the filters will open these files. You get chinese. <--Technical term not the language. Random characters(code).

Regards,

Ed