[Solved] Request a tip on how to diagram the Base and a Form

Creating tables and queries
DreamerArgentino

[Solved] Request a tip on how to diagram the Base and a Form

Post by DreamerArgentino »

Hello everybody!!

I request a tip on how to design the Base and A Form correctly

I'm learning Base, and I have the need to create a small database with a Form and then get some statistics.

The approach seems to be quite simple:

1-Tables:
TBL-Students (ID-Student, Name, Surname)
TBL-PossibleTasks (ID-Task, TaskName, Select)
TBL-SelectedTasks (ID-TaskSelected, ID-Student)

2-Loading Form: With the following fields (See image "FormDesign"):

ID-Student, Name, PossibleTask Names---> with their respective Selection Checkbox (Tasks01 to Tasks55) - You can choose 1 or more tasks)

-----> and here are my queries:

1-How do you advise me to design the tables? that is, where would the selections of the checkboxes store?

2-Regarding the Form: How can I do it with a continuous type, containing said checkboxes + the Name of the task?

I made a small test base, but I'm really stuck! Please help me!!

I hope you can give me some idea based on your experience.
Thank you very much for your patience and your help.
Greetings.
Dreamer.-
Attachments
TASKS-000EN.odb
(23.77 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
FormDesign2.jpg
Last edited by DreamerArgentino on Tue May 22, 2018 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 On Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Request a tip on how to diagram the Base and a Form

Post by Villeroy »

The Oracle Report Builder extension provides charts on reports.

You can use a spreadsheet as database frontend:
viewtopic.php?t=88516&p=416210#p416210
viewtopic.php?t=89590&p=422813#p422295

Some people think that this is worth writing macros:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=88567&p=416549&hil ... ms#p416549
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

I've modified your program slightly to fix your problem. Two points:
1. Your main problem is that in the table SelectedTasks you have the field ID-Selected set as the primary key. ID-Selected is just the choice you make from the PossibleTasks table. It should not be a Primary Key. You need an ID set as the Primary Key with AutoValue for the SelectedTasks table. Then you can enter data.
2. In your table grid a List control with a Query is better than a combo control, as the combo allows data to be added.
I've attached the modified file.

You may also want to look at your Relationships - perhaps set so that when a student is deleted the corresponding selected task records are deleted?

Hope that helps to get you on your way. As Villeroy says, you'll need to add the ORB to make nice reports.
Attachments
TASKS-000EN_Nocton.odb
(23.97 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
OpenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10
DreamerArgentino

Post by DreamerArgentino »

Nocton wrote:I've modified your program slightly to fix your problem. Two points:
1. Your main problem is that in the table SelectedTasks you have the field ID-Selected set as the primary key. ID-Selected is just the choice you make from the PossibleTasks table. It should not be a Primary Key. You need an ID set as the Primary Key with AutoValue for the SelectedTasks table. Then you can enter data.
2. In your table grid a List control with a Query is better than a combo control, as the combo allows data to be added.
I've attached the modified file.

You may also want to look at your Relationships - perhaps set so that when a student is deleted the corresponding selected task records are deleted?

Hope that helps to get you on your way. As Villeroy says, you'll need to add the ORB to make nice reports.
Nocton, Thank you very much! It comes very close to what I was looking for! It is very helpful for me to continue designing the base I need.
Thank you very much for your help and for taking the time!

I send you a big hug!
Greetings,
DreamerArgentino.-
OpenOffice 4.1.5 On Windows 10