Cannot open my spreadsheet files

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
ADJER

Cannot open my spreadsheet files

Post by ADJER »

Hello, Recently updated Open Office to version 4.1.5. Has worked OK for a time. Today I suddenly cannot open any of my .ods spreadsheet files. Instead of the usual start routine I get a dialog box who's title is: Text import with Import, character set, Language, & sepatator Options. I cannot find a way to open my files from this point. I have tried switching the computer off & restarting, I have tried to do Open Office repair routine, I have reinstalled Open Office from the original zip file, all to no avail.A couple of times I somehow managed to open a new blank spreadsheet. but could not open my .ods files from there.
Any ideas what to try next?? Thanks, Adjer.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Cannot open my spreadsheet files

Post by FJCC »

Most of the symptoms sound like you have corrupted files but it would be very strange to have multiple corrupted files. Also, you should in any case be able to open a blank document.
What happens if you click the Windows button, scroll through the list of available programs and start OpenOffice from there?
Can you post one of your files here? It has to be under 128kB. To post a file, click Post Reply and then look for the Upload Attachment tab just under the box where you type a response.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Download and try opening this file:

1. by double clicking it

2. by starting AOO and going File > Open ...
Attachments
test.ods
(8.95 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
ADJER

Post by ADJER »

To; FJCC Correction to previous post. Only two spreadsheet files fail to open, they are my current working files. All my old files open as normal. Starting via the O/Office Program file gives a blank spreadsheet but using the file menu & Open command does not work. Sorry I cannot post files because I cannot open them. As you say I think I have corrupted files. I will try to restore them tomorrow from my file history backup.
To John_Ha Downloaded you test spreadsheet. I opened correctly no problem. Thanks to both for your help. Adjer.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

ADJER wrote:Sorry I cannot post files because I cannot open them.
Unless I am misunderstanding your point, you do not need to open a file to post it.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04