[Solved] Font keeps changing

Discuss the spreadsheet application
petermoors

[Solved] Font keeps changing

Post by petermoors »

I have a financial spreadsheet with some columns formated as zapfdingbats so I can use the tick symbol to show a line is correct. However onsaving and reloading the columns revert to the default font used for the rest of the sheet (Arial) How can I stop this please.
Last edited by petermoors on Sun May 20, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Re: Font keeps changing

Post by RoryOF »

Save in .ods format and use only on the one computer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
petermoors

Post by petermoors »

Thank you but that's not what I want to do. At the very least want to be able to use on more than one machine.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

What OS and what version of AOO/LO are you using?

How are you defining the fonts in the AOO spreadsheet? Are you using the toolbars or are you using a Style?

What format are you saving in?

What format/software are you using on other machines?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
petermoors

Post by petermoors »

Using the toobar just changing the font in the font tab or right click on the column and selecting the font. The sheet is in xl format (XP). The same software on all all machines
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Assuming the other computers have the same zapdingbats (not guaranteed) I'd suggest:
  • Create a new Style, set the font to zapdingbats and use it to format the cells.
    Save file as .ods and reopen to ensure the font is holding.
    If it holds, do a Save As to xls format, reopen
    Try file on another computer
In theory, the more recent versions of Excel should open an ods file so it might be interesting to see what happens if you try the file in ods format on another computer.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Remember that the font showing in the Writer - and presumablt Calc - font drop-down selection box is the font the document is asking for. This may NOT be the font being used to create the display because, if the font being asked for is not installed on the PC, Windows (or other operating system) will silently substitute a different font which is available.

The TestFonts add-on is invaluable for finding missing fonts which the document is asking for, but which are not installed on the PC.

You can see which fonts are installed on the PC by Start > Control Panel > Fonts or by clicking C:\Windows\Fonts.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
petermoors

Post by petermoors »

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have tried them all to no avail. The zapdingbats font file is on all machines and is the same, all copied from the same file. the format does not stay even on the same PC. I would just use the ods format but AOO is not installed on the other machines. They are wondows 10 tablets with limited memory and I need to keep office xp on them as I have lots of spreadsheets with macros which only run in msoffice
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Can you upload an abbreviated copy of the file that is doing this so someone here can see if they can duplicate the behaviour? If the file is over 128K you can upload to a file sharing service and post a link.

A couple of possible file sharing sites.
Dropbox

MediaFire

If nothing else works, drop the font and use a symbol from your normal font.

Here is a symbol from Gentium Book Basic (U+221A) that might do if properly formatted.
petermoors

Post by petermoors »

Thank you for that. I think it might now be wotking OK. I loaded the sheet, formated the columns I wanted with dingbats, saved it as a ODS file. Reloaded and saved as XL file. I have tried it with other spreadsheets from past years data and it seem OK. However I have another problem with the same spreadsheet. I had a macro in the xl sheet to sort the columns. This of course does nor work in AOO as expected. I have recorded a new macro which works fine but it does not get carried over when I load the sheet into one of my other machines. Any idea. Sorry I do seem to want alot of help.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

petermoors wrote:I have recorded a new macro which works fine but it does not get carried over when I load the sheet into one of my other machines.
When you recorded the macro you probably stored it "on the PC" and not "in the document".

My macros are stored in C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\basic\Standard\Module1.xba. Copy that file to the other PC. See [Tutorial] How to record a macro (and Regular Expressions) for more information.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.