Can a background graphic extend beyond margins?

Discuss the word processor
Ironhorn

Can a background graphic extend beyond margins?

Post by Ironhorn »

Specifically because, when I export to PDF, it exports the entire document, and I end up with a white boarder around my pages
Open Office 4 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Can a background graphic extend beyond margins?

Post by Zizi64 »

No, it is not possible.

But there are some tricks to create a pdf with full size backgroung picture.

1.: Create a document without background picture, and export it to PDF format. Then create an one page document with zero margins, and with a picture on the page. Export it to PDF format. Then use a third party PDF manager software (like the free PDFTK) put a watermark (background picture) into each page of the first pdf file, by usage of the second pdf file as "watermark file".

2.: Use zero margins in your new, empty document with the picture in the background. (Create a user defined Page Style for this). Then create and apply a Frame on each page (by usage a user defined Frame style. Put the text into the frames. Export the document into PDF format.
(I know it: It is not too comfortable solution, because the text can not flow automatically between the frames/pages in this case... But you can use all of the formatting propeties inside the Frames.)

Note:
The Zero margin will work on the displays only. The most of the printers can not print a document with zero margin values
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Can a background graphic extend beyond margins?

Post by John_Ha »

1. Insert an image, stretch it to the page edges. Set Wrap to In background. it is easiest to remove the image while typing and add it when the document is finished.
2. search the forum for watermark - most printers can add an image as background when printing.
3. see Full page background image

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.