[Solved] Beginning with AOO, how to save as docbook

Discuss the word processor
tay

[Solved] Beginning with AOO, how to save as docbook

Post by tay »

hello,
i'm starting with with OpenOffice,
I have a large number of DOCX files that i'm trying to convert to docbook.
when i open the file in OO and try to save it, i don't see the save as : DocBook (xml)
there's only save as Microsoft Word 2003 xml.
I would really apreciate your help.
Thanks
Last edited by robleyd on Fri May 04, 2018 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick [robleyd, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7
robleyd

Re: beginning with OO, how to save as docbook

Post by robleyd »

It may be that option isn't available in earlier versions of AOO - it certainly is in version 4.1.5. You might consider upgrading to a current version.
Attachments
docbook.png
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

And it available in the LibreOffice. I checked it in my LO 4.4.7 an the LO 6.0.3 versions.
DocBook_LO603.png
I never tried than file format, therefore I do not know if the conversion works well or not.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I don't have the DocBook option on AOO 4.1.5 Windows 7 even after downloading the DocBook template from Getting Started With DocBook on OpenOffice.
Clipboard01.png
If you (robleyd) have it, could it be as an Add-on? I am on 4.1.5 Rev 1817496 and when I check for updates I am told I am fully up to data.
Attachments
Clipboard02.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I don't have the DocBook option on AOO 4.1.5 Windows 7 even after downloading the DocBook template from Getting Started With DocBook on OpenOffice.

If you (robleyd) have it, could it be as an Add-on? I am on 4.1.5 Rev 1817496 and when I check for updates I am told I am fully up to data.
The LibreOffice contains this feature by default.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have it on out of the box 4.1.5 on Windows XP, John.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Zizi64

That LO has it is not the point.

robleyed has it with AOO 4.1.5 on Linux. I am fully up to date with AOO 4.1.5 on Windows but I do not have it. I have a vanilla AOO install so why don't I have it?

The original poster may be back-level or may have the same problem I appear to have.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:I have it on out of the box 4.1.5 on Windows XP, John.
As Alice said, curious and curiouser! I definitely ain't got it!

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have just checked - I'm using Windows Save dialogs, not OO dialogs. On that machine I have only English dictionaries and Language Tool installed.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Rory

I completely uninstalled AOO and renamed my old profile. I downloaded AOO from the download site and installed it as a vanilla install where I selected Install everything. I started Writer (not AOO itself) and was asked to fill in my name which I did. I now have a completely standard AOO installation.

I now go File > Save As..., and I get this ... which does not have DocBook.
Clipboard01.gif
Two things.

1 You say you use the Windows dialogues not the AOO dialogues. Can you explain further - please remember that I am a bear of very little brain ...

2 What do you as options - am I missing more?

This is what I have installed.
Clipboard06.png

tay

Post by tay »

robleyd wrote:It may be that option isn't available in earlier versions of AOO - it certainly is in version 4.1.5. You might consider upgrading to a current version.

I have version 4.1.5, and i dont see save as docbook.xml !
is it installed indvidually ?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

John_Ha wrote:1 You say you use the Windows dialogues not the AOO dialogues. Can you explain further - please remember that I am a bear of very little brain ...
Got it. When I go Tools > Options > OpenOffice > General ..., and tick Use OpenOffice dialogue boxes it makes no difference.

I searched Help with DocBook and eventually came across
XML Filter Settings

Some filters are only available as optional components during the OpenOffice installation. To install an optional filter, run the OpenOffice Setup application, select "Modify", and then select the filter that you want in the list of modules.
I then went Tools > XML Filter settings and got this:
Clipboard01.gif
I will continue digging.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My version is build 1817496, as yours is.

Windows/OpenOffice file dialogs can be selected in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : General.

I can't see anything else relevant in the Options settings.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I did as Help suggested and Modified the install - I added some filters but it made no change even after rebooting.

What do you see when you go Tools > XML Filter settings...? I get this:
Clipboard01.gif
Do you know where the XML filters are located? I cannot find them in the Profile. When I try editing MS Word 2003 XML I get taken to C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\share\xslt\export\wordml\ooo2wordml.xsl.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I am beginning to think it is a problem with Windows 7. Rory's XP is OK.

Does anyone have AOO 4.1.5 on Windows Vista, W8 or W10 - can you please test it?

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

XML filters.PNG
Here is my XML filters
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Rory

Thanks. I have just done a vanilla install of AOO 4.1.5 on a W10 machine and it is exactly the same as my W7 machine - no DocBook and none of those filters.

When you Edit ..., the DocBook XML which file does it point to? And when you Edit ..., the MS Word 2003 XML which file does it point to?

Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

My AOO 4.1.2 version has the DocBook option by default (without any extra extensions), but my AOO 4.1.5 (winPenpack) portable version has not.
DocBook_AOO412.png
AOO412_extensions.png
AOO412_extensions.png (11.35 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
Last edited by Zizi64 on Thu May 03, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

My version of AOO is exactly the same as yours, except for Linux. I have no extensions related to it, and the Linux install doesn't have any options to install or not install some options of AOO as the Windows install does; it is all or nothing. I'll start my Win 7 virtual machine and see what is in there.

~~~ time passes ~~~

Aha - using 4.1.4 and a vanilla install I found no docbook option; however going back and re-running the install and adding XSLT sample filters from the Optional Components gives the option to save as docbook.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
tay

Post by tay »

robleyd wrote:
My version of AOO is exactly the same as yours, except for Linux. I have no extensions related to it, and the Linux install doesn't have any options to install or not install some options of AOO as the Windows install does; it is all or nothing. I'll start my Win 7 virtual machine and see what is in there.

~~~ time passes ~~~

Aha - using 4.1.4 and a vanilla install I found no docbook option; however going back and re-running the install and adding XSLT sample filters from the Optional Components gives the option to save as docbook.

Could you please share with us in details the method to add the option save as docbook ? with screenshots if possible
thank you
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

John_Ha wrote:When you Edit ..., the DocBook XML which file does it point to? And when you Edit ..., the MS Word 2003 XML which file does it point to?
Docbooks fles
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice 4\share\xslt\docbook\sofftodocbookheadings.xsl
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice 4\share\xslt\docbook\docbooktosoffheadings.xsl
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice 4\share\xslt\docbook\DocBookTemplate.stw

Word 2003 XML files
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice 4\share\xslt\export\wordml\ooo2wordml.xsl
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice 4\share\xslt\import\wordml\wordml2ooo.xsl

Did you remember to check for Quickstarter running afteryou selected filters?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:Docbooks fles
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice 4\share\xslt\docbook\sofftodocbookheadings.xsl
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice 4\share\xslt\docbook\docbooktosoffheadings.xsl
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice 4\share\xslt\docbook\DocBookTemplate.stw
Rory

They are not present in my W7 installation.
Clipboard01.gif
I do have the three files you mention in the AOO Installation files so I guess that there is a bug in the Windows installer and it does not install them. I created a folder C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\share\xslt\docbook\ and copied the three files into it but it did not make any difference. I think they need to be "installed" via the New dialogue in Tools > XML Filter Settings ...., but I have no idea how to do it.

I will raise a bug report.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

robleyd wrote:Aha - using 4.1.4 and a vanilla install I found no docbook option; however going back and re-running the install and adding XSLT sample filters from the Optional Components gives the option to save as docbook.
Bingo! I must have missed that the first time I tried. When I add them it I now see DocBook.

I guess development forgot to set the box to Ticked in the AOO Windows installer.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

tay wrote:hello,
i'm starting with with OpenOffice,
I have a large number of DOCX files that i'm trying to convert to docbook.
when i open the file in OO and try to save it, i don't see the save as : DocBook (xml)
there's only save as Microsoft Word 2003 xml.
I would really apreciate your help.
Thanks
tay

The solution to your problem is

1. Stop AOO. If you still have the folder called OpenOffice 4.1.5 (en-GB) Installation Files left over from when you installed 4.1.5 jump to step 3. IF not download AOO from http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

2. Install it. During the install do you see the screen shown at Step 3? If you do see it, select Modify and jump to Step 4.

If you did not see that screen, continue and you will eventually be left with a folder called OpenOffice 4.1.5 (en-GB) Installation Files.

3. In that folder you will see a file called setup.exe. Double click it. Follow the instructions till you get to the screen below where you select Modify.
Clipboard01.gif
4. This takes you to the Custom Setup screen. Click the [+] next to Optional Components
Clipboard03.gif
5. You need to remove the X. Click the arrow next to XSLT Sample Filters and choose This feature and all sub-features will be installed on the local hard drive.
Clipboard02.gif
6. Start AOO and all will be fixed.

See Getting Started With DocBook on OpenOffice.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

tay

Re: [Solved] Beginning with AOO, how to save as docbook

Post by tay »

John_Ha Thank you so much !
The problem is solved thanks to you ! :)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

...and unfortunately there is not such installation wizard for the winPenPack portable version...
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Zizi64 wrote:...and unfortunately there is not such installation wizard for the winPenPack portable version...
Zizi64

You have the three files so you should be able to install it with Tools > XML Filter settings > New ..., but I don't know how. Help may give some clues, as should examining with those which are already installed.

This is what I see when I select DocBook and edit it. It may therefore just be a case of adding the files, and then putting them in these three fields.
Attachments
Clipboard01.gif

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

The bug report was accepted and DocBooks will be now be included by default in the next AOO update.

Incidentally, I searched the forum with Docbook and there are very few relevant posts.