[Solved] Trying to open ODT file creates a CPGZ file instead

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
ap1

[Solved] Trying to open ODT file creates a CPGZ file instead

Post by ap1 »

I'm working with someone who is getting a random problem on their MacBook. Sometimes when they attempt to open an ODT file (OpenOffice Writer document), the Mac creates a CPGZ file of the ODT file instead of opening the ODT file. I know a CPGZ file is an archive format (like a ZIP file). The problem is that I don't know what's causing the Mac to create the CPGZ file. When the problem happens, it happens for all ODT files, not just one. Has anyone seen that problem before? Do you know what fixed it?

If you looked over their shoulder when it happens in the Finder, you'd see an ODT file on the Desktop. When they double-click it, the CPGZ file would appear on top of and just to the side of the ODT file, similar to when you click on a file and then duplicate it (command+d). Oddly, when that happens, the ODT file extension for other ODT files changes to CPGZ. Then, at some point, when they use the Mac later in the day, the ODT files that were CPGZ files change back to ODT files. They remember one time when they dragged a CPGZ file from a window on to the Desktop and the extension changed back to ODT (as it did for all other CPGZ files).

Weird I know.

Any thoughts? I'm stumped.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1 on MacOS 10.12
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Trying to open ODT file creates a CPGZ file instead

Post by Zizi64 »

The .odt files are .zip files too, but the extension is related to the specific application.

Maybe the option "Automatic file extension" is unticked on the Save/Save as dialog. Check it, please. Maybe the files without extension in their names will be recognized as pure .zip files. (Try to rename them to *.odt.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
ap1

Post by ap1 »

Zizi64 wrote:Maybe the option "Automatic file extension" is unticked on the Save/Save as dialog. Check it, please. Maybe the files without extension in their names will be recognized as pure .zip files. (Try to rename them to *.odt.)
Thank you Zizi64.

I'll look at the "Automatic file extension" option. I do know that the files display with their extensions. When they're normal ODT files, it's filename.odt. When they're CPGZ files, it's filename.odt.cpgt.

The part that's so strange is that the problem is random, and it affects all ODT files at once. Then, something happens and they all change back to regular ODT files. When the problem is not happening, the ODT files open as expected in OpenOffice Writer. They don't act like ZIP files, they just open in Writer.

I wish I knew what's causing the problem, so I can fix it. I hope it's not a virus or something. Hmm.
OpenOffice 4.1 on MacOS 10.12
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
ap1 wrote:Sometimes when they attempt to open an ODT file (OpenOffice Writer document), the Mac creates a CPGZ file of the ODT file instead of opening the ODT file. … When the problem happens, it happens for all ODT files, not just one.
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q33/A33

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).