[Solved] How to "recover" my documents

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Thamior

[Solved] How to "recover" my documents

Post by Thamior »

Sometimes when I open up one of my saved documents all of the work I have done is replaced by #'s. This has happened to me a few times and I was wondering if there is a way to recover my documents if this happens. I had just done like 10 hours of work yesterday and i opened my document to find everything replaced by #'s.
Last edited by Thamior on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.1 on ACER
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: How to "recover" my documents

Post by Zizi64 »

Sometimes when I open up one of my saved documents all of the work I have done is replaced by #'s.
How and where you save your documents to?

- Do not work directly on a portable device.
- Do not store your important documents in foreign file formats. Use the native, International Standard ODF fileformats.
- Always create more than one backup of your files onto different places.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Thamior

Post by Thamior »

I save my documents to my computer (When I am on the document I press CTRL+S, then go to this PC, Documents and into a file).
OpenOffice 3.1 on ACER
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Your signature is:
OpenOffice 3.1 on ACER
Which AOO/LO version are you using now really?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Thamior wrote:I save my documents to my computer (When I am on the document I press CTRL+S, then go to this PC, Documents and into a file).
Ctrl S Saves the document, but it is best that you either close the document (/File /Close) or exit OpenOffice, (/File /Exit) which will prompt you to close the document; a document is held open until one of these commands is executed. If the computer is powered off too quickly, or allowed sleep with a file open, that file will be destroyed as the system gets confused with what to do with it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Thamior

Post by Thamior »

OpenOffice 4.1.1.
I didn't check because I needed to get the question out as quick as possible so I could get help.
OpenOffice 3.1 on ACER
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Thamior wrote:I was wondering if there is a way to recover my documents if this happens.
Did you enable option Load/Save → Always create backup copy? If so, there is a copy of your document as it was the last time you opened it in the directory named in option OpenOffice → Paths → Backups. Options are set with OpenOffice → Preferences on a Mac, Tools → Options on other platforms. Using your operating system, copy the backup document to a safe place. Make a copy of that, then change the file extension .bak to the appropriate one (.odt, .ods, etc.). Open the renamed file.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

A Calc spreadsheet column will display #'s when the column width is too narrow to display a numeric value. In that case just make the column wider.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11