[Solved] Can't save my ODT file

Discuss the word processor
DSKauai

[Solved] Can't save my ODT file

Post by DSKauai »

I'm having trouble saving my ODT files. I had it set up to save backups every time it closed, now if I close Writer, it doesn't even save it normally.
34sl20i.jpg
So now I can't use Writer. Any help is appreciated!
Last edited by DSKauai on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AOO415
Microsoft Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Can't save my ODT file

Post by Zizi64 »

I'm having trouble saving my ODT files. I had it set up to save backups every time it closed, now if I close Writer, it doesn't even save it normally.
I had it set up to save backups every time it closed,
How you did it? As I kwow it, there is not such function in the AOO. The existing backup function works with an adjustable timer: It saves and backup (into ONE file only) in the tpecified adjusted time period (but not at the every closeing procedure...).
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I use two NAS (network storage devices for storage of files. I work direct to a Buffalo Linkstation; if I tell OO to make automatic backups on that device it will not Save a file to it; It will work and Save a backup to the Iomega I200. I investigated my save rights to both devices and as far as I can tell they are identical.

For historical reasons I work direct to the Buffalo Linkstation with automatic backup turned off; because of this problem I make manual session backups to the larger Iomega device.

It may be, that if you are saving to a network device, you have a similar anomalous permissions problem; try turning off OO's "always make backup file" option and see if this permits you to Save. If so, you should investigate file permissions and/or adopt a differing backup policy.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

We have seen problems with Windows 10 updates - see [Solved] File Save Error.

1. Check the Windows Defender settings and allow OpenOffice to write to your disk.

2. Start AOO. File > New > Text document. Add a few words. File > Save As. Navigate to the desktop and try to save it on the desktop. Does it save?

3. Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Paths. What path is being used for backup files - it should be C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\backup.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also, when a file refuses to save, one is in a panic situation - one has this file, with editing changes; if it is not Saved, then such changes (and possibly the entire file) are lost. In that case, one should Save to ones Desktop, to which one should always (by default) have full access rights. This may not be the ideal position for the file, but at least it should Save here; it can later be moved.

It is also worth checking that space is available on the drive on which the file is to be saved; as a general rule one should have at least 10% of the drive's capacity available (this is a "how long is a piece of string" answer)
DSKauai

Post by DSKauai »

My auto backup is still coughing.

I can Save As in text format, but I still can't save my standard ODT file. My backup directory is different than the default, but I put it there on purpose.

If I make NO changes to the ODT file, I can close it without a problem.

More info. If I turn off the Auto Backup, I can operate the program with no issues, saving it like normal.
AOO415
Microsoft Windows 10
DSKauai

Post by DSKauai »

Zizi64 wrote:
I had it set up to save backups every time it closed,
How you did it? As I kwow it, there is not such function in the AOO. The existing backup function works with an adjustable timer: It saves and backup (into ONE file only) in the tpecified adjusted time period (but not at the every closeing procedure...).
Tools --> Options --> Load/Save --> Always create backup copy
AOO415
Microsoft Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

DSKauai wrote:
More info. If I turn off the Auto Backup, I can operate the program with no issues, saving it like normal.
That suggests to me that you have some file permissions problem on the Save folder; Is your Save folder on a network?
DSKauai

Post by DSKauai »

No, no network, just a laptop.
AOO415
Microsoft Windows 10
DSKauai

Post by DSKauai »

ERROR --> I was incorrect about the saving normally. That doesn't work either.

I have tried Repairing OO and completely uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but I get the same error code as in the screen capture above.
AOO415
Microsoft Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Can you navigate /File /Save As to point to your desktop and Save there?
DSKauai

Post by DSKauai »

Yes, Save As works properly.

Interesting. When I reset the Backup directory to the default, the error goes away and I can save properly.
Last edited by DSKauai on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AOO415
Microsoft Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OK, that defines the problem to be a file permissions problem in your normal Save directory. Your User (probably your default login name) should be given read/write/create/delete rights for the Save directory.
DSKauai

Post by DSKauai »

Okay, I'm good. I reset the directory to the Default path, closed Writer, reopened it and reset the directory to where I wanted it to go, it seems to have worked. I dunno, strange problem. Thanks for helping out, I'll go mark this as solved.

Quick addon --> Turns out I saved it to a different directory, so your permissions solution was probably the problem. Thanks again!
AOO415
Microsoft Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Can't save my ODT file

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.