How do I disable default shadows?

Discuss the drawing application
Legate

How do I disable default shadows?

Post by Legate »

Hello,

by default Draw adds very annoying shadows to every flowchart object. To everything from terminators to connectors. How can I get rid of these?

Kind regards

Legate
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows Vista SP3
acknak

Re: How do I disable default shadows?

Post by acknak »

Does this only happen with flowchart shapes, or does it happen with simple shapes also?

If everything gets a shadow, check the "Area" settings on the "Default" graphics object style (press F11; right-click on "Default", then "Modify").
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
morphingstar

Post by morphingstar »

from *.svg I created qr.
Inside qr square are 3 colors: White, black and grey.
grey is on right side and below.

Shadow is not activated
The original image is free of shadow.
If I change color to max. 2, the qr code lines get very ragged.

Any ideas to eliminate shadow?
OO is updated.

thanks

https://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/
set to 100 pix. b/w.
OO 4.1.6 on Win10. Member since StarOffice 7. Alternative name "morphingstar2" when other fails. Use Writer, Calc (as DB + Calc), Draw. Impress mainly for Eyedropper and animating GIFs. Updated 20190716.
morphingstar

Post by morphingstar »

just to add info:
the drawing was a qr code grid.
When I printed it the shadows were invisible.
The shadows to the left only are on the screen.
OO 4.1.6 on Win10. Member since StarOffice 7. Alternative name "morphingstar2" when other fails. Use Writer, Calc (as DB + Calc), Draw. Impress mainly for Eyedropper and animating GIFs. Updated 20190716.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

I can see some effect on all edges, but nothing that looks like a drop shadow. Might that be an echo on your screen, only visible in high contrast situations (perhaps caused by long cable or sub-optimal settings for resolution etc.)?

When I zoom in on a generated QR code pasted into Draw, I can see a slight blur on the code edges (all directions, not specifically "right and below"). This does not happen when I paste the same image to a pixelmap oriented application (tried several picture editors and viewers). It seems to be in Draw's handling ("optimizing" ?) of pixel maps. It does not affect the scanning reliability for the code when printed in common sizes. (Tested down to about 1 cm square.)
morphingstar

Post by morphingstar »

Thanks, I have not analysed whether is is an svg cause. It does seem to affect the readability from the screen when QR is small.
When I changed QR into 2 colors using Irfanview the sides became very ragged. Not sure it was a screen shot of QR in Irfanview.
Correction of my 1st post: Shadows are on right side only, what you call BLURR.
I guess it is either OO or image processor creating the error.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It might also be crosstalk in video cable. If you have (or can borrow) different video cable, try that. Also try lower video resolution (as temporary measure) to see if the problem goes away.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS