[Solved]How to create a Master slide, dictionary, templates

Discuss the presentation application
John_Ha
Volunteer

[Solved]How to create a Master slide, dictionary, templates

Post by John_Ha »

Despite searching and reading the manual, there is something I am not seeing!

First, I would like to create a presentation where every slide has the same background which is an image I have (the green + white line). Adding just this image is simple by right click a slide > Slide > Set background picture ..., and it appears on all slides.

I would like to add a second image (the logo) although I guess I could add the logo to my original background image.

I would like a "text area" at the top for each slide's title, where I maintain the same font, size, colour etc across all slides.

Then, when I add a new slide it would come complete with the background, the logo and the text box.

See below. Adding a new slide always gets the two text areas which I cannot delete.
background.png
background.png (8.72 KiB) Viewed 2361 times
master.png
Second, although I have a dictionary in Writer, it does not seem to be there for Impress - all my words are underlined and Tools > Languages ..., does not show any dictionary.

Third, I was somewhat surprised to find my Presentation Templates seem to be stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\share\template\en-GB\presnt. There are two - prs-novelty.otp and prs-strategy.otp. Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Paths ..., gives the templates path as C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\template but they aren't there.

Any help to get me out of my confused state will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by robleyd on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick [robleyd, Moderator]
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
FJCC

Re: How to create a Master slide - no dictionary - template

Post by FJCC »

I used the Windows Snipping tool to grab an image of your desired slide from your post and I saved it as a jpg. Then I:
1. Made a new empty presentation
2. Went to Format -> Area and on the Bitmaps tab I used the Import button to make my jpg one of the available bitmaps.
3. Went to Format -> Page and on the Backgrounds tab set the Fill to Bitmap and chose my jpg. I turned off Tile and selected Auto Fit. I answered Yes to the Background for all Pages question.
4. Went to View -> Master -> Slide Master. I resized the title box to fit over, approximately, where you want the box repeated on every slide. I also changed the font size to 32 and selected the Palatino Linotype font.
5. I selected View -> Master -> Master Elements and turned of the Date, Footer and slide number
6. I went back to normal view.
When I insert a slide, I can use Format -> Slide Layout to choose whether the slide has the title box, which I think you always want, or the big box for lists.

It should be possible to put the logo in as an element of the Master, but I didn't try that.

You can save the presentation as a template in My Templates.

Does all of that work?
Attachments
John_Ha.odp
(45.65 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

FJCC

Many thanks - your step-by-step "idiot's guide" was exactly what I needed and, when I followed each step, it did exactly what I want.

I had read about the "Import" in Bitmaps but I couldn't find it. Also, another thing I wasn't seeing was that, while you cannot delete the text boxes in the Master, you can delete them in any slide created from the Master.
FJCC wrote:You can save the presentation as a template in My Templates.
I put it in C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\template, the Templates folder specified in the Paths, and Impress located it when I created a new presentation and selected From template.

Now I just have the spellcheck problem to fix. Do you know why spellcheck works perfectly in Writer with the GB-English dictionary installed, but no dictionary is shown in Impress when I go Tools > Language? All my text is marked as spelling errors.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

John_Ha wrote:Now I just have the spellcheck problem to fix. Do you know why spellcheck works perfectly in Writer with the GB-English dictionary installed, but no dictionary is shown in Impress when I go Tools > Language? All my text is marked as spelling errors.
Don't you hate it when you answer your own questions. :crazy:

It seems that you have first to mark text with a language by highlighting the text and going Format > Character ..., and choosing the language. That text is then marked as, say, UK English, and spell checked with the UK-English dictionary if it is installed. See [Solved] Setting Default Dictionary

I am still surprised that Tools > Languages ..., does not show any dictionaries being installed even after marking my text as UK-English.
Clipboard01.png