View comments grayed out

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
desyrae

View comments grayed out

Post by desyrae »

I have been sent an edited manuscript in Word. The document opens but no comments are visible. Comments are grayed out under View and navigator says there are 0 comments. This manuscript definitely has comments (notes) so I'm at a loss here. How do I retrieve them? I'm on a Mac 10.6.8 and have been working on this problem for days with no luck. Please help.
Open Office 4.0.1 on a MacBook Air 10.6.8
RoryOF

Re: view comments grayed out

Post by RoryOF »

OO greys out the Comments selection when it knows there are no comments, so it is telling you that it cannot see any.

Try a later version of OO, or else LibreOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
desyrae

Post by desyrae »

Will another version work on a Mac 10.6.8? I can see tiny icons where editing comments would most likely be, so there's something there and this document was sent from a reputable source. Does this have something to do with some Macros being disabled? I changed the security on that but no help. Thank you for responding so quickly.
Open Office 4.0.1 on a MacBook Air 10.6.8
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I cannot say which versions of OO/LO will run on 10.6.8, as I have no Mac experience. In what format is the file - .doc, .docx .odt ...?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MrProgrammer

Re: View comments grayed out

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
desyrae wrote:Will another version work on a Mac 10.6.8?
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q41/A41

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).