Changing Arabic numerals into Chinese or Roman

Discuss the word processor
new guy

Changing Arabic numerals into Chinese or Roman

Post by new guy »

How do I select an arabic number in my document and change it into a chinese or roman number?

I am sure there is something very simple I am missing and hope one of you can get me pointed in the right direction. I am new to word processing. I am trying to format a simple list in english and want to change my arabic numbers into chinese and roman numbers. I cant make that happen. I have enabled the asian language option and downloaded the chinese language pack (but not sure if it is talking to my office suite) i have tried to add the extesions for it (again not sure if they are compatible or working) I have been to TOOLS-LANGUAGE-FOR SELECTION-MORE-FONT, and TOOLS - OPTION - LANGUAGE SETTINGS - LANGUAGE and have enabled the asian language portion, and it shows up in these places as well as in EDIT - PARAGRAPH STYLE and in INSERT I was able to find chinese numbers but unable to understand how to sequence them.

Thanks in advance for the help!
openoffice 4.1.5 on windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: CONFUSED! changing arabic numerals into chinese or roman

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Do you mean that you want to translate Arabic numbers in Chinese or Roman?
I don't think it's a mere language change that you need since the numbers are just made from characters in a font. You should check for some online translator for numbers.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Changing Arabic numerals into Chinese or Roman

Post by jrkrideau »

I don't think you can do it, unless you can find some extension. I'd open the extension list Tools > Extension Manager > Get more extensions online > and search for something like Chinese numbers. There are a number of extensions listed but I have no idea what they do.

Hagar's suggest seems like the best option. Something like https://www.chineseconverter.com/en/con ... se-numbers may work.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
new guy

Post by new guy »

thanks for the info i will give it a try
openoffice 4.1.5 on windows 10
waterlili

Post by waterlili »

jrkrideau wrote:I don't think you can do it, unless you can find some extension. I'd open the extension list Tools > Extension Manager > Get more extensions online > and search for something like Chinese numbers. There are a number of extensions listed but I have no idea what they do.

Hagar's suggest seems like the best option. Something like https://www.chineseconverter.com/en/con ... se-numbers may work.
I have tried the Arabic Number / Chinese Character Converter tool and it appears to be a wonder gadget. Thanks for sharing. :-)
NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4
Professional EN<>CN Linguistic Experts.