[Solved] Someone Else Accessing my Documents?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
ask_questions

[Solved] Someone Else Accessing my Documents?

Post by ask_questions »

Hi folks! I use OpenOffice 4 for word processing. This morning our internet connection was severed (every time it rains, or the sun shines, or a bird poops in the yard it happens, :crazy: ) but anyway, I reconnected, my document was still open on my laptop and I added some to it. But when I went to save it, I got an error message that said "this document has been modified by another user since it was opened in edit mode and if you save it, this may overwrite the other user's changes, do you wish to continue?" I was a little flabbergasted, since no one else should have access to my files, or my computer. Could it be an error, or should I be concerned? Is there a way of checking recent edits to see who might have been messing with my file?
(Secondary question: I have a CenturyLink modem connected to a Netgear wireless modem, at first I couldn't get the wireless to connect, so I connected directly to the CenturyLink, that didn't work, so I reconnected to the Netgear-could that be what caused that message to pop up-does the system realize I switched from one modem to the other?)
Thank you in advance!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
RoryOF

Re: Someone Else Accessing my Documents?

Post by RoryOF »

No, it's probably a left over lock file from the time of your crash. Enable viewing of hidden documents , and, with OpenOffice closed, look in the folder in which you saved the file. Delete any files with names similar to

Code: Select all

.~lock.MyFile.odt#
Then look in the top-level of the User Profile (you may again have to enable viewing of hidden files, if this is on a folder by folder basis). I assume you are using Windows. If so, you should find this at
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user
where "user name" is replaced by your log-on username. At the same level as user you may find a .lock file. Delete it. Now all should be well.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ask_questions

Re: Someone Else Accessing my Documents?

Post by ask_questions »

Thank you!! :D
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 7