Sad farewell to our dog.

Talk about anything at all....
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Sad farewell to our dog.

Post by TheGurkha »

I haven't been very active on the forum recently. I had some bad news. Over the recent Bank Holiday weekend we were camping with Wallace our golden retriever (named as in William Wallace, not 'Wrong Trousers' ) on Anglesey. Wallace was his usual crazy self, dashing here, there and everywhere, thundering in and out of the sea fetching sticks and so on. On Sunday night he threw up in the tent, and on Monday he was a bit tired and off colour. He went downhill through the week, he saw the vet a couple of times but this Monday we took him back because he wasn't getting any better. They had him on antibiotics but the pills weren't really doing anything.

They decided to do X-rays and an exploratory procedure. When they had him on the operating table and opened up, they rang us to say that the kindest thing would be to not even bring him round from the operation. He had tumours on the spleen and fluid on the lungs.

Mrs. Gurkha is devasted, I feel like I've lost a limb. He was ten and half and the world's greatest dog.

We had a holiday in Scotland booked starting tomorrow, so that's come at the right time. I'll be off-line now until 22nd Sept.
Wallace.jpg
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
acknak

Re: Sad farewell to our dog.

Post by acknak »

Sorry to hear that; thanks for the photo.

Don't let anyone tell you "it's just a pet", they're part of the family, and it's not hard to see that you've lost a true friend.

Best wishes--enjoy a change of pace! We'll try to keep the lid on here for a few days ;-)
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

I absolutely agree, they are family members. Losing such a family member, whether or not it's a sudden loss, tears a hole in your heart where their presence used to be. I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Gurkha, and wish you a peaceful and relaxing but fun holiday in Scotland (as I'm a former piper, that's the country on all Earth I'd choose to visit if I could only choose one).
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Thanks for the kind messages acknack and fox.

(I'll bring some photos back fox, the Pitlochry highland games are taking place while I'm there, and there will be a Pipe Bands competition as well. My wife's father (who had passed away before I met her) was a Pipe Major.)
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy »

Gurkha, my heart goes out to you and the Mrs. I had lost one that was about thirteen. Little small lap dog. But, as you say, they are a member of the family not an animal. We lost her about two or three years ago. There are times when we can still feel her with us. I totally agree with fox and acknak. Don't ever let anyone tell you that it's only a dog. It is a child, a family member. Beautiful picture. Peace be with you and the MRs.

Tom
Yea!!!! I'm still learning!!! Got Squeeze. =D
OOo3.2.1
Debian Squeeze 6.0.6 on Desktop OO.o 3.2.1
Win 7 soon to dual boot on Laptop OO.o 3.4.1
lyn

Post by lyn »

sorry Ghurka that you lost your dog. it is a terrible loss. pets do become part of the family and it is heart wrenching when they pass away. thanks for the photo. hope you have a good holiday.
lyn
Open Office 3.2 Ubuntu 10.04