Sound control on a slide

Discuss the presentation application
leea

Sound control on a slide

Post by leea »

My main computer has PowerPoint. The one I will travel with next week for my presentation does not so I will be using Open Office Impress 4.1.5

My PowerPoint has pictures, sound, and video. When I import it into Open Office the sound and video doesn't work. I found that I have to re-link it and then it works.
However in PowerPoint I can click on the sound icon on any slide to replay the sound over and over. I can't find out how to do that in Open Office. The sound just plays once. I may need to repeat the sound so people can clearly hear it. How can I get it to replay the sound on command?

Thanks
Lee
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Sound control on a slide

Post by Zizi64 »

My main computer has PowerPoint.
Do you mean the PP sowftware or a PP type document? (Do you have MS PowerPoint software on your computer?)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
leea

Post by leea »

I mean PowerPoint software. I have MS Office 2013. So yes, it is also a PowerPoint file. But my travel computer does not have any MS PowerPoint software which is why I am using Open Office.
Lee
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may be quicker to download the free MS Powerpoint viewer from the Microsoft site and use it for your presentation.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

RoryOF wrote:It may be quicker to download the free MS Powerpoint viewer from the Microsoft site and use it for your presentation.
Microsoft cancelled distribution of the free (as in free beer) document viewers Word viewer.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... ord-viewer
 Edit: Sorry, they cancelled the Word viewer.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... .aspx?id=6 (Powerpoint Viewer)

and

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... .aspx?id=3 (OOXML converter) are still available. 
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
leea

Post by leea »

I did not know about the PowerPoint viewer.
The PowerPoint viewer will not be available after next month (April).
I downloaded it and it fixed the sound issue but created three new problems.
1) I have two videos, one embedded and one YouTube. The YouTube one will not play. The start button never shows up.
2) The embedded video plays the audio but no image. I can get around these two problems by getting out of the program and showing them from a different window. But that means I have to stay near my computer and not wander the class.
3) I will be showing this on a large screen so I have two monitors. In Open Office (and MS PowerPoint) I can make my local screen the control and the large screen the display. The viewer only displays on my local screen. I could make the screens replicate but that defeats the purpose.

Lee
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For your two videos, for each insert a hyperlink on a slide to the video file; this should cause the system media player to open and play the video. If you drag the mediaplayer to the projector screen (for trial, use an ordinary computer monitor) it should remember where it was and open there next time. Try this out privately using an ordinary monitor as a projector substitute (if you don't have a personal projector).

If that is not satisfactory, you can hyperlink to a command line of the system media player and the video as a command line parameter, with any necessary parameters added on the command line (full screen, autoplay...). You will need to work out the parameters etc; again, do this privately at home (i.e., not in front of the audience) with a projector substitute. Note any necessary tricks on a sticky label and stick them on laptop lid so you don't lose them.

If I remember correctly, you may have to close the mediaplayer before the presentation can be resumed.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For information: OO requires gstreamer 0.10 on some (all?) computers. I have never been able to get that to install satisfactorily on my current linux computers, so I resort to the method I outlined above. However, work has started on updating the media handling of a coming OO release to gstreamer 1.0. I have no details of when or which version it will be applied to.

For detailed media use, LibreOffice 5 versions seem more satisfactory at present.
leea

Post by leea »

OK, I did my testing. Hyperlinks do work better, but they show up on the screen so the audience can see them and you have to click them.

Open Office has two sound issues. I have to redo the project and reload he sound files. The sound will only play one and does so as soon at the slide comes up..

PowerPoint viewer does not handle the two screens. I can't have the master control on one like I can with MS PowerPoint software or Open Office.

So since the sound is more important I will just have to operate on the display screen.

Lee
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

A hyperlink button is not visible in presentation mode when you turn off the "Printable" property.
Get the "Form Controls" toolbar.
Turn on design mode (button #2)
Click the push button tool.
Draw a push button.
RIght-click > Control... to get the properties window for the button.
Printable = OFF
Action = Open URL
URL = index.php
Turn off design mode (button #2)
Hit F5
Now you can "feel" the button by the changing mouse cursor and you can click it.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
leea

Post by leea »

I am a little confused, my search found Form Controls for Excel. I think what you are referring to is an Active X control. I don't want to get that involved, I have decided to live with it the way it is. I don't mind and it isn't that bad.
Lee