[Solved] Asterisks

Discuss the word processor
Saffie

[Solved] Asterisks

Post by Saffie »

I typed a few asterisks in to create a small break and now I have two thick lines across the whole page which wont go away with delete or backspace, and repeat every time I hit return. There must be a default or format rule I can unclick pr undo somewhere. I cant find it. Nor know what keyword other than asterisk to put in to find if this has been asked before. Any suggestions. Very frustrating.
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved] [robleyd, Moderator]
Open Office 4.1.2
robleyd

Re: Asterisks

Post by robleyd »

G'day, and welcome to the community forum.

The search term you need is solid line which would lead you to (among others) this post with solutions.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Saffie

Post by Saffie »

Doh, thank you! I knew it would be something obvious but I got so frustrated trying and failing to find the key! Blessings be upon you. S
Open Office 4.1.2
Saffie

Re: Asterisks solved under Solid line keyword!

Post by Saffie »

Doh, thank you! I knew it would be something obvious but I got so frustrated trying and failing to find the key! Blessings be upon you.
I still have to retype the final page in a newly created document with the rest of it cut and pasted in, that line is seemingly irredeemable once its in.
But I'll make sure the new document has the -none- instruction in the border tab.
Many thanks for speedy response too.
S
Open Office 4.1.2
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

click in the paragraph above the line, /Format /Paragraph : Borders tab, and remove the bottom border that it will show.
This advice from the link I posted above should remove existing solid lines added via the "three stars" method. Of course, you need to do that individually for each solid line inserted.

In future, can you please not ask the same question in more than one topic - it fragments discussion and may result in the question being answered the same in several places by several people.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Asterisks

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Asterisks

Post by RoryOF »

I leave the automatic line function enabled. If I type three asterisks (or other characters) as a text break and they are turned into a solid line that I do not require, I immediately type Ctrl Z (to undo) or /Edit /Undo, and the asterisks are restored.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS