Help with Problem with Query Design Page Display

Creating tables and queries
cazbym

Help with Problem with Query Design Page Display

Post by cazbym »

Hi, wonder if anybody can help.

I have been having an intermittent problem with the Query Design page, which I cannot seem to resolve.

The three sections displayed (when not using SQL directly) from top down are

Results Section
Tables Relation Section
Fields Selection/Manipulation Section

On first creating a query, as expected, the Table Relations Section and Field Section display, more or less with a 50/50 size split down the screen, with a popup allowing user to select Tables or Queries, to add to the Table Relation Section.

At this stage there is a bold black line at the top of the Fields section which can be dragged up or down to increase or decrease the height of the Field display.
On running the first query, this line remains, and is still resizable, the "add tables" popup disappears, and the Results section appears at the top, this is also resizable if the user hovers over the bottom lines of this section. The middle (Table Relation) section is squeezed by the Fields and Results section. I am able to decrease the heights of both in order to better view theTables section. However, more often than not, on re-opening, for some reason, I am left with sections which cannot be resized.

Has anyone else experienced this or know a solution. I have tried all the obvious such as closing the query, closing base etc. Results appear random, sometimes it rectifies the problem, sometimes not.... :?
Windows 10
OOo 4.1.5
connected to
External HSQLDB 2.3.2 DB
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Help with Problem with Query Design Page Display

Post by Villeroy »

Do yourself a favour and learn the most trivial SQL basics that are handled (more or less) by this insufficient query design tool. A more serious problem than its bad usability lies in its limitations. Sooner or later you will have to write SQL anyway.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

I often have the same problem. Usually, when I run the query from the design mode I find that one can then resize the windows.
Otherwise try toggling View/Switch design view on/off. It is often good to view the underlying SQL code anyway. Even if you are going to write it directly as Villeroy advises, the Query Design is a useful tool to quickly create an initial SQL statement.
OpenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I use the query designer every time when I add a query to someone else's database. Since I don't know the names tables and fields, I link all the involved tables and click together a mere field list so I have a skeleton with all "quoted names" involved. Then I edit the resulting string in a text editor with syntax highlighting.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice