[Solved] Transfer data between spreadsheet cells

Discuss the spreadsheet application
The Doc

[Solved] Transfer data between spreadsheet cells

Post by The Doc »

how do I transfer the contents of a cell in one spreadsheet to a cell in another spreadsheet so that it is updated from one to the other as the cell content is changed.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
openoffice 4.1.1 on Mac
MrProgrammer

Re: transferring data between spreadsheet cells

Post by MrProgrammer »

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 15.35.42 .png
The forum where you posted (Tutorials → Calc) is for tutorials. You cannot ask questions in that forum. I've asked a moderator to move this post to Applications → Calc.
The Doc wrote:how do I transfer the contents of a cell in one spreadsheet to a cell in another spreadsheet so that it is updated from one to the other as the cell content is changed.
Say the first cell you referenced is D5 and the second cell is P4. In P4, put formula =D5. That tells Calc to use D5's value in P4. If you change D5, cell P4 is immediately changed too.

Note, though, that the content transfer is one way only. If P4 is copying D5's content it is not possible using spreadsheet functions for D5 to also copy P4's content so that changing either cell will cause the other to change. You can change P4, of course, replacing the =D5 formula with some other content, but D5 will be unaffected.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).