Only some data saving in forms

Discuss the database features
astepnitz

Only some data saving in forms

Post by astepnitz »

Hello
I am brand new to Base. I am trying to build a database in which to track human rights violations for a non-profit. I have made a table and a form into which the data can be entered. The data is a combination of text fields, tick boxes, option buttons and combo boxes. When I make an entry into a record it only saves the data in the text fields and the tick boxes. Everything I enter in the option buttons or combo boxes will be lost as soon as a navigate to the next record.

I have made a fake entry in the database and taken screen shots to show what is happening.

Picture 1 is what it looks like once I've filled in the various parts of the form - you can see I have chosen some of the tick boxes and entries from the drop down boxes as well.

Picture 2 is what it looks like when I move forward to the next record - the sheet is blank, ready for a new entry - great.

Picture 3 is what then happens if I navigate back to record 1. The client name and ID stay, as do the selected tick boxes, but the drop down choices are gone. I don't think this is related to saving the entry because half of the data are saved every time.

Any help here would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Abigail
Attachments
PICTURE 3 - Half the data are lost on record 1
PICTURE 3 - Half the data are lost on record 1
PICTURE 2- Blank form for record 2
PICTURE 2- Blank form for record 2
PICTURE 1 - Data as entered on the form for record 1
PICTURE 1 - Data as entered on the form for record 1
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.16
LilZebra

Re: Only some data saving in forms

Post by LilZebra »

Converting your database to a standalone type will help with data integrity.

The "Embedded HSQLDB" that you are most likely using eventually corrupts the data file. What happens quite often is that someone spends a lot of time entering data into the Embedded HSQLDB database table and then finds, like you, that the data didn't get saved.

Embedded means make the database resident in RAM and then when it's closed, then Save it. Non-embedded means everytime you do something to the database - adding a record, deleting a record, altering a table schema it will save it to disk.

I've converted my databases since December and it's more stable now.
LibreOffice 6.1.3.2 (Linux Fedora 29 on x86_64) with 'Notebookbar'
OpenOffice.org since 2002-12. LibreOffice user since 2013-current.
HSQLDB 2.5.0
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

The term "drop down boxes" doesn't tell us enough about the form controls and without knowing your table structure it would be difficult to offer any specific help.
You have either List Boxes or Combo Boxes on your form. While they look the same on the form they work differently. A Combo Box stores the selection in a text field while a List Box stores the selection in an integer field.
For details see Combo vs List Box
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

You do mention that the drop down boxes are combo boxes. The combo box should get its list data from a table, query or SQL statement but in order to save what is selected its data field must be assigned to a field in a table associated with the form.
OpenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10