[Solved] University essay corrupt with SAXParseExce error

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
livewire

[Solved] University essay corrupt with SAXParseExce error

Post by livewire »

"File format error found at
SAXParseException: '[word/document.xml line 2]: Attribute w:cstheme redefined
', Stream 'word/document.xml', Line 2, Column 89434(row,col)."

I have attached the document and would appreciate any help with this. I noticed some helpful people have been able to resolve the same error but I couldn't work out the steps.

I have renamed the .docx as a .zip and opened the document.xml in notepad and attempted to remove what I think is the erroneous line of code but i just make things worse with my skills with code!

The .docx file isonly 20 odd kb whereas the douemnt.xml is 200 odd kb I can find parts of plain text from the essay but large sentences spread around at random is my best find.

It always seemed to be before the word preserve.

My Girlfriend saved this as a docx from the get go in Libre and had an issue with her laptop when powering back on the file opens with the error at the start of this post

Any help much appreciated thanks folks :)
Attachments
Family Honours Summative.docx
corrupt file
(22.57 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
Last edited by livewire on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Windows 10

Apache Open Office v41.5
RoryOF

Re: Girlfriends University essay corrupt with SAXParseExce e

Post by RoryOF »

Try the attached. Please ensure that all content and formatting are as required.

When you examine a .xml file it is best to use an editor that understands XML syntax. I use XML Copy Editor - there are others.
Attachments
Family Honours Summative repaired.docx
(21.72 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
livewire

Post by livewire »

Thank you soo much Rory you made that Girls Week!
Windows 10

Apache Open Office v41.5
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

livewire wrote: I couldn't work out the steps
See [Tutorial] How to fix SAXParse errors in LibreOffice files - it is a sticky at the top of this forum.
livewire wrote:My Girlfriend saved this as a docx from the get go in Libre ...
That is a bad mistake.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why she should always work in, and save files, as .odt. Create a .docx as a copy if she has to, but she should always keep the .odt as the master.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
livewire

Post by livewire »

Thanks for the advice, i did try to follow the tutorial but going through and manually deleting the attribute was taking sometime and I wasn't sure exactly where to cut the code. I really appreciate all your help and She is over the moon that she doesn't have to type this again.

I have explained about the odt until the last step and she gets it, thanks again!
Windows 10

Apache Open Office v41.5
RoryOF

Re: University essay corrupt with SAXParseExce error (SOLVED

Post by RoryOF »

I was getting multiple "repeated attribute" errors, so I just globally deleted all those attributes.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS