[Solved] Deleting files

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Jeannie

[Solved] Deleting files

Post by Jeannie »

SOLVED THANK YOU I have a lot of letters and files that I want to delete, but I don't know how. There is no delete button anywhere, or am I just not seeing it? I no longer need these files and am trying to clean up my documents.
Last edited by Jeannie on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4 on Windows 7 Pro IE on desktop
RoryOF

Re: deleting files

Post by RoryOF »

It is safest to delete files outside of OpenOffice, using the system file manager. Normally in that, for all(?) operating systems, one left clicks on a file and presses the Delete key, or one right clicks on a filename and chooses Delete from the popup menu.

Such deleted files may still show on OpenOffice's /File /Recent documents, but as they now no longer exist, they will not open; as more files are opened they will scroll off that list. Alternately, choose the bottom entry on the Recent Documents list and Clear the list; this will now be rebuilt on a file by file basis as existing files are opened.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: deleting files

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

AOO does not have a "delete file" command per se. Here are three ways of deleting files:

1. While using AOO. Go File > Open ..., or File > Save ..., or anything which opens up a (Windows) File Explorer pop-window. Navigate to the file you want to delete. Press the keyboard delete key or right-click the file > Delete.

2. Using Windows directly. Open File Explorer (or My Computer). Navigate to the file you want to delete. Press the keyboard delete key or right-click the file > Delete.

3. Using Windows Search. Start > type *.odt in the Search box. Click See more results. Scroll to the file(s) you want to delete and highlight one or more. Press the keyboard delete key or right-click the file(s) > Delete.

If you delete something by mistake click the Recycle Bin icon the desktop. Find the file. Restore it.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.