[Solved] Document Read Only

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
tradline07

[Solved] Document Read Only

Post by tradline07 »

Hello,

One of my students saves her documents and each time she opens it, it comes up as read only. I checked the properties of the document and Read Only is NOT checked. Is there a setting for Open Office that I need to change?

Thanks!
Last edited by thomasjk on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
Open Office 4.1.5 installed on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Document Read Only

Post by RoryOF »

Enable viewing of hidden and archive files (at system level) and, with OpenOffice closed, in the file's directory look for and delete a lock file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
tradline07

Post by tradline07 »

Thank you! But can you be more specific. Where would I enable viewing of hidden and archive files?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

That is a system-level command; it is so long since I used Windows that I cannot tell you with certainty how to do this. I think one right clicks on the folder in question and selects "view archive and system files" (words to that effect), but as I say, I'm not certain.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Try clicking Start | Help and Support and search for hidden files - see the resultant link to Show hidden files
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

The point is that when someone opens C:\x...x\folder\fred.odt, AOO creates a lock file called C:\x...x\folder\.~lock.fred.odt# in the same folder.

If a user now tries to open fred.odt, AOO prevents them from doing so and offers them a Read Only version. This is because two people cannot edit the same file at the same time, nor can one person have the file open in two places.

The lock file is normally deleted when the file is closed. The problem arises if lock file is not deleted because AOO sees the lock file, and thinks the file is already being edited, so offers a Read Only version.

The cure is

1. Close AOO
2. Delete any and all lock files still left.
3. Be careful if the file is stored on a shared folder or shared file server as someone on another PC may be editing it ...
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
tradline07

Post by tradline07 »

Thank you for all of the help! Problem solved!