[Solved] Thesaurus stopped working...

Discuss the word processor
roninwolf109

[Solved] Thesaurus stopped working...

Post by roninwolf109 »

I recently upgraded my version of OpenOffice to the latest version and now my thesaurus has stopped working. The thesaurus window will open but it won't suggest any replacement words. I've even gone as far as uninstalling OpenOffice, downloading it again and reinstalling but nothing works. Thanks for your help! :)
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.5 Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Thesaurus stopped working...

Post by robleyd »

A similar situation was reported in this post a couple of days ago.. The solution there may also help you.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
roninwolf109

Post by roninwolf109 »

Hm...nope... All the language options are set to the appropriate settings (American English). When I try to use it the original word I'm asking for suggestions to change is in the field at the top but there's nothing in the suggested window.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

roninwolf109 wrote:Hm...nope... All the language options are set to the appropriate settings (American English). When I try to use it the original word I'm asking for suggestions to change is in the field at the top but there's nothing in the suggested window.
By "American English", do you mean the default "English (USA)" or have you installed an additional dictionary for "American English"?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
roninwolf109

Post by roninwolf109 »

The default English (USA) one.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

roninwolf109 wrote:Hm...nope... All the language options are set to the appropriate settings (American English). When I try to use it the original word I'm asking for suggestions to change is in the field at the top but there's nothing in the suggested window.
Is there truly nothing in the Alternatives box or does it say "No alternatives found"?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Did you reset your user profile? I've been able to duplicate the problem by deleting the dictionary from the user profile. In that case, all language settings appear correct in Writer, but all words become underlined as misspelled and "Synonyms" and "Thesaurus" no longer appear on the context menu when right-clicking on a word. The Thesaurus window can still be opened by selecting Tools > Language > Thesaurus, but only "No alternatives found" appears in the Alternatives box. Resetting the user profile reinstalls the dictionary and the Thesaurus then works as expected.
roninwolf109

Post by roninwolf109 »

How do I do that? That's the exact problem I'm having save the spell checking thing.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

roninwolf109 wrote:How do I do that? That's the exact problem I'm having save the spell checking thing.
reset your OpenOffice user profile.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
roninwolf109

Post by roninwolf109 »

That link wouldn't open. I managed to get into the user file...then what? I have no idea about computers. Thanks for everybody's help so far. :)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have corrected an error in the link. Please click on it again and read the posting to which it refers, which will tell you what to do.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
roninwolf109

Post by roninwolf109 »

Hurray! It worked. Thanks everybody. I got it fixed.
raymatt

Re: [Solved] Thesaurus stopped working...

Post by raymatt »

I realize this is an old post, but it is what comes up when "OpenOffice thesaurus stopped working" is searched. I found the answer to mine: that was to set English to English USA. Shouldn't be necessary, but it is. Also, when I downloaded the new version of Apache OpenOffice it wouldn't work and Mac wanted me to send it to the Trash. I went into "Privacy and Security" on System Preferences and clicked on "Open Anyhow". Solved the problem.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14
robleyd

Re: [Solved] Thesaurus stopped working...

Post by robleyd »

when I downloaded the new version of Apache OpenOffice it wouldn't work and Mac wanted me
See the Mac section of Instructions for Downloading and Installing Apache OpenOffice 4.0, 4.1 Versions for the relevant solution.

You may also find Tutorial: Mac FAQ a useful reference.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers