OpenOffice Writer not opening

Discuss the word processor
judgesinel

OpenOffice Writer not opening

Post by judgesinel »

After working on a report and closing this, I go to open another in progress report and clicking on the file does not open it. In Task manager (Win 10 Pro), I have to delete all instances of open office before I can once again open a file. I upgraded to 4.1.5 thinking this may solve the problem , it does not.

Any ideas or solutions to solve this would be greatly appreciated, as it is driving me nuts! Thanks.
Last edited by RoryOF on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added explanatory words to Subject [RoryOF, Moderator]
RoryOF

Re: OpenOffice Writer not opening

Post by RoryOF »

If there instances of OpenOffice left in TaskManager, this is an indication that you may be closing OO incorrectly (often using the X at top right corner) and/or powering off the computer incorrectly. Modern computers and disk drives cache data to make them react faster. If the computer is powered down too quickly the data may still be in the disk drive's internal cache, but not yet written to disk. I suggest always using the correct computer shut down procedure and waiting for a few seconds for the disk drives to spin down after an "OK" message is received before unplugging or snapping a laptop's lid shut.
 Edit: If Writer does not open immediately after closing a previous document, get in the habit of using /File /Close to close each document, and wait just for a moment to let OO finish its housekeeping before opening another. Stop rushing it - the time spent fixing a damaged OO and/or damaged documents will be much more than the cumulative few seconds you need to wait. 
This should avoid such left over processes, or worse, the possibility of breaking your spellcheck, or even worse, of damaging your file (perhaps beyond repair).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Re: OpenOffice Writer not opening

Post by Hagar Delest »

I experience that very few times a year on my Windows machine. I also have to kill the soffice process that eats the most memory and usually, several other instances disappear with it.
Don't know what happens. Maybe a memory leak.
Note: always closing with the X button top right of the window or with a macro that ends with:
If (oDoc.hasLocation AND oDoc.isModified) Then
subdispatch("Save")
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10