[Solved] All charts disappeared

Discuss the spreadsheet application
rhimpel

[Solved] All charts disappeared

Post by rhimpel »

I recently had 4.1.4 Openoffice Calc return "An unknown message occurred" and save my spreadsheet and then recover it. I noticed that all the charts disappeared so I opened a backup copy and continued because I had just saved before the "unknown error" and it wasn't a big deal. A few days later version 4.1.5 came out and I upgraded to it hoping that whatever the issue was in 4.1.4 would be fixed. Today I found out that it wasn't. This time I hadn't saved my spreadsheet for several minutes and had done quite a bit of work when the "unknown error" happened again. I was only changing some text so I set it go through the recover process and got back to work but this time every chart on all pages was gone leaving only a little square icon in the center of where the chart was located. I could click on the chart area and the little squares located at the corners and the center of the chart size showed, but nothing else. I saved the file hoping that maybe restarting Openoffice would restore everything, but no luck. After restarting there is no sign of any charts ever being there before - completely gone. Did this ever happen to anyone else? Is there a way to keep this from happening. This is serious! Is there any way to restore the missing charts. I have a backup copy but that doesn't really fix the "unknown error has occurred" problem.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Linuxmint 18.3 / MacOS 10.13.2, build 17C88
Hagar Delest

Re: All charts disappeared

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Do you save in native ODF (.ods) or in another format?
Better stick to .ods.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
rhimpel

Post by rhimpel »

Yes, I always save in ODF mode. Here is some more information. I am running Linuxmint 18.3 on an HP xw9300 Workstation with dual processors and 8 GB of memory. On it I can run Openwindows or Libreoffice, but Libreoffice has the same problem and Openoffice does so much less often. I also have an Apple MAC that can run both office programs, but that is my backup computer in case the HP machine breaks down. I back up often on an several devices. On the HP I can even run Sun Open Solaris but it only has Openoffice 3.1, but it still works with files saved from the most recent versions. I restored my spreadsheet back to normal last night by saving very very often and making full backup copies very often. Fortunately, I didn't have any trouble. By the way, on Libreoffice, the trouble seemed to be happening when I was updating chart data, and even though it crashed, the recovery process worked and it didn't destroy the charts.
rhimpel

Post by rhimpel »

It was a good week and nothing bad happened with my spreadsheet. That's great, but I don't think this just disappears by itself. Hasn't anyone every had this happen to them?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Use LibreOffice. It is shipped with your Linux distribution.
Reminds me of https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=124063
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
rhimpel

Post by rhimpel »

As I've said previously, Libreoffice has performed less reliably than Openoffice, besides, switching away from Openoffice doesn't really solve the problem, does it, especially since Libreoffice has experienced having nearly the same problem. Fortunately, although the problem is serious, it isn't common or frequent.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images, while it is written for Writer, may be of assistance in sorting out an image (charts == images?) problem with Calc losing images during a Save/reopen process.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
rhimpel

Post by rhimpel »

Since it appears that noone else is having this type of problem I might as well close it. Maybe my spreadsheet is too large or maybe there is something is wrong with one or more of the charts. It just seems impossible that something insignificant could cause all the charts to disappear. If it ever happens again, I'll be back.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

rhimpel wrote:I recently had 4.1.4 Openoffice Calc return "An unknown message occurred" and save my spreadsheet and then recover it. I noticed that all the charts disappeared …
You should review Issue 127568 - Diagrams become corrupt (not retrievable) when Calc document is saved for Mac OS X. Try to reproduce the problem by creating a chart in 4.1.5, saving, and opening in 4.1.5. If the chart is missing the developers should be advised of that. You are more likely to get the problem addressed if you supply proper documentation, as shown in the discussion of the problem in the issue. As I read the issue, charts created in 4.1.4 on Mac OS X were not saved, hence upgrading to 4.1.5 won't make them appear again.

[Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions

Charts problem even in OOo 4.1.5
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
FKlusmann

Post by FKlusmann »

rhimpel wrote:Since it appears that noone else is having this type of problem I might as well close it.
I have been having a (might be) related problem: When editing a chart on a sheet with 6 chats on it, the display reverts to the un-edited view. Saving, exiting and re-opening the workbook shows the changes were made and saved.
Yes, I reviewed the Issue 127568 - Diagrams become corrupt (not retrievable) when Calc document is saved for Mac OS X link provided by MrProgrammer.
Thank you ALL! (Win 10 - LibreOffice Version: 7.0.3.1 (x64))
Saving the Planet! Only recycled electrons were used in this post!