Show Bitcoin price "at the time"

Discuss the spreadsheet application
snowman123

Show Bitcoin price "at the time"

Post by snowman123 »

Suppose you have 3 columns:

A: Shows dates
B: Shows bitcoin amounts
C: Shows current USD rate (I get this from here https://bitcoinexchangerate.org/price)

And the column I want, D: This would give me the price of bitcoin at the time of the date.

For example:
calc.png
calc.png (5.87 KiB) Viewed 10416 times
I filled D manually, according to this website:

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/bitstamp/btcusd

The price on that day closed at 427.42. I just want to know from where to pull this data to automate it.

Once I have D, I would add an aditional column, F, that simply gives me the % increment from D to C. This would be extremely difficult to fill the completely retarded tax reports that require you to give them the price of BTC at the time you received a payment (and I have a ton of payments of small amounts) instead of just paying a % of capital gains once you sell for fiat, but whatever. I don't intend to sell them anyway, I just want to keep track of this and see the % increments.

Thanks
OpenOffice 4.11 on Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Show Bitcoin price "at the time"

Post by Zizi64 »

C: Shows current USD rate (I get this from here https://bitcoinexchangerate.org/price)
How you get the data from the website? Manually? Or by a DDE link?
Then you can try get other datas too - if they exists in a pure html table format on the another website.
In other words:
Is your main question: how you can use the DDE link function in the AOO/LO Calc application??

You can not use the DDE links on the dinamically created "programmed" web sites. It works with the HTML tables only.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
snowman123

Post by snowman123 »

Zizi64 wrote:
How you get the data from the website? Manually? Or by a DDE link?
Then you can try get other datas too - if they exists in a pure html table format on the another website.
In other words:
Is your main question: how you can use the DDE link function in the AOO/LO Calc application??

You can not use the DDE links on the dinamically created "programmed" web sites. It works with the HTML tables only.
I get the USD price from the https://bitcoinexchangerate.org/price site using this method:

Then the cell shows the USD value of the current price, which I can use to get any amount of BTC to be shown at current prices.

I just need to automate this and show me the price at the time in a certain date, so I guess I need a website that has daily prices archived, the question is what website can offer this and how to properly implement it calc.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

the question is what website can offer this
Unfortunately, that question is out of scope for this forum but needs you to find such a website - if there is one :) - before you can establish the website format and hence how to get the data from the website.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The https://bitcoinexchangerate.org/price site works for me in my LO 5.3.7 version, but it appeared only 2 items. Choosen the HTML_all item.

See the attachment. The refresh time cycle is set to 20 second.
Bitcoin.ods
(7.58 KiB) Downloaded 746 times
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
seabeast

Post by seabeast »

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I'm trying to do the same thing.

Getting the current Bitcoin price is one thing, but really I'd like to get the Bitcoin price at a specific date in an adjacent column.

A function that gets the BTC price from one cell, compares it to the date in another, and returns the value in USD and ideally CAD too. Perhaps that would take another script to convert USD to CAD.

Super difficult or achievable?

Attached an image. Would be happy to pay for a solution.
Attachments
calc-btc.jpg
Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.6 / OpenOffice 5.4.3.2
ceblac

Post by ceblac »

Hi this works fine for BTC/USD thanks a lot!!

but does somebody has a working URL for other curencys like ETH or NEO for example??

thanks in advance,
ceblac
OpenOffice 4.1.5 MAC
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Hi this works fine for BTC/USD thanks a lot!!

but does somebody has a working URL for other curencys like ETH or NEO for example??
How it is related to the usage/bugs of the AOO/LO?

My tip:
Google is your friend. Use it.
snowman123

Post by snowman123 »

seabeast wrote:Did you ever get anywhere with this? I'm trying to do the same thing.

Getting the current Bitcoin price is one thing, but really I'd like to get the Bitcoin price at a specific date in an adjacent column.

A function that gets the BTC price from one cell, compares it to the date in another, and returns the value in USD and ideally CAD too. Perhaps that would take another script to convert USD to CAD.

Super difficult or achievable?

Attached an image. Would be happy to pay for a solution.
No, I have not managed a solution for a "get bitcoin price at X date" yet. We would need to query a database that has all those prices, I don't see any other way. blockchain.info shows the USD price at the time of the transaction, so im guessing they have a database of the prices? there must be a database somewhere that we can use for this.

Doing tax on bitcoins seems an impossible task. The jurisdictions that make it as easier as possible are the ones that will get all the future billionaires paying taxes there.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Database? Who wants to use databases nowadays? What you need is a BLOCKCHAIN record of prices.
:ugeek:
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Google bitcoin price timeline for countless sites offering it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
pjmcclore

Post by pjmcclore »

ceblac wrote:Hi this works fine for BTC/USD thanks a lot!!

but does somebody has a working URL for other currencies like ETH or NEO for example??

thanks in advance,
ceblac
Glad to hear that apparently, you got BTC/USD to work inside a sheet. How did you accomplish pulling this information into Open Office Calc from the Blockchain, or whatever?
OpenOffice 4.17 on Win10