OpenOffice 4.1.3 crashing on startup

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Tinko

OpenOffice 4.1.3 crashing on startup

Post by Tinko »

So I started using OpenOffice today, so I am pretty new at this. But whenever I try to open any file with writer or other OO programs it stops responding. I have tried creating a new file on desktop, opening .docx files etc. I can't get it to work. What can I do?
OpenOffice 4.1.3, Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.3 crashing on startup

Post by RoryOF »

Start by deleting the OpenOffice user profile. It is known that sometimes the initial user profile can be corrupt, causing problems. As you are using Windows do this by:

Close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar and press Enter. Delete or Rename the "user" folder. Start OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Tinko

Post by Tinko »

Hello, I have tried doing that and it still stops responding.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

After you deleted the OO user profile, did it prompt you for name/initials on next startup?
Tinko

Post by Tinko »

Yes, it did prompt me.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Then you did the delete correctly.

Try starting Windows in Safe Mode. If OpenOffice runs correctly in that mode then the problem is caused by some program or driver which runs in Windows normal mode and interferes with OO. If OO does not run in Windows Safe Mode then you should uninstall OO, reboot, then install from a new download, making sure to download only from http://www.openoffice.org/download/

You should also do your initial experiments creating and reading only .odt files - OO can (sort of) read .docx, but cannot write them.
DANNYGRAY

Post by DANNYGRAY »

hi i have the same issue was using 4.1.2 and en all of a sudden when i opened any oo program or file it would say "not responding" have tried renaming the user file as suggested and this has still not worked. can you advise me on how to open windows in safe mode. to my knowledge nothing has changed and i have not changed anything.
regards
Danny
OPEN OFFICE 4.1.3 WINDOWS 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
zod1

Post by zod1 »

It still doesn't work well with .docx files I presume :( It crashes every time I try to open same .docx document. It brings up "document restore" feature, but restores 0 documents, then reloads itself.
Attachments
oo415error.PNG
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7 x64
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Did you try running Windows in Safe mode to see if the problem persists? Does the problem happen with only one docx files, or all docx files you try?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
zod1

Post by zod1 »

robleyd wrote:Did you try running Windows in Safe mode to see if the problem persists? Does the problem happen with only one docx files, or all docx files you try?
I tried copying contents of this .docx file to a new one and it still crashes. If you convert to .doc with ms word it opens it okay, I'll try it in safe mode and post an UPD later, it's hard to go to safe mode because my machine uses domain account
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

zod1 wrote:I tried copying contents of this .docx file to a new [.docx] one and it still crashes. If you convert to .doc with ms word it opens it okay
That strongly suggests the .docx file is corrupt or uses content not supported by AOO, but supported (or the corruption is handled) by MS Word. Saving it as .doc removes content, and this is the content containing the corruption or non-supported matter.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a discussion of the difference between .doc and .docx files.

Close AOO. Delete all lock files with names like .~lock.Fred.odt# - they are hidden files located in the same folder as Fred.odt.
Clipboard01.gif
Try opening this test.docx file.
Attachments
test.docx
(1.87 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
zod1

Post by zod1 »

Also, LibreOffice 5.3.3.2 can open this same .docx without issues. Is there a logfile to post here by any chance?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Items 8 and 9 in [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for an explanation
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.