[Solved] Large "Engineer" Size Prints

Discuss the drawing application
tiffnickk

[Solved] Large "Engineer" Size Prints

Post by tiffnickk »

I want to make a large poster for my home and print it at staples or costco using their engineer prints. What do I need to do that will allow me to use very large fonts and keep it on one page? Are their large templates for something like this?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 10 pro
robleyd

Re: Large "Engineer" Size Prints

Post by robleyd »

I assume you will be using either Draw or Writer to create this. You can use Format | Page to increase the page size to a maximum width/height of 300centimetres (just over 118 inches). The Font size drop down list may only go to 96, but you can enter larger numbers.

You don't mention what document formats the store can print; you can export your document as PDF if Open Document Format files (the default file standard used by Apache OpenOffice) are not acceptable.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
tiffnickk

Post by tiffnickk »

Thanks!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Draw is better, as when entering type Writer will only use a total width of 68cms last time I checked, even on a wider page (300 cm)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

A free CAD drawing package such as Double CAD would be even better as you can set the sheet size to anything (A0 for example) and use text of any size. Furthermore, it will automatically print multiple A4 pages which can be taped together to make up the AO sheet.

Or create an A4 PDF and ask a print shop to print it on A0 paper. Text will scale without loss of quality but if you use images, make sure they have enough pixels to print with quality at the expanded size (ie they should have 150 pixels per inch at the full printed size). See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer.
 Edit: Draw has an option to print across multiple pages.

File > Print > OpenOffice Draw ...
Clipboard01.png

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
tiffnickk

Post by tiffnickk »

you guys this is amazing! thanks for all the suggestions!