Bullets were working fine, why did someone mess that?

Discuss the word processor
oatmealawk

Bullets were working fine, why did someone mess that?

Post by oatmealawk »

I upgraded to v4.1.5 and now the bullets in all of my documents have a "10" in the middle of them. WTF? Creating work for people, as a result of a release qualifies as an unsuccessful release IMO.
ApacheOpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7 64bit
acknak

Re: Bullets were working fine, why did someone mess that?

Post by acknak »

Maybe you mean AOO 4.1.4? I've not heard of 4.1.5 being released.

How did you create the bullets? What steps did you use?

What document format are you using? ODF (.odt for text documents) or something else (.doc maybe)?

Can you attach a small sample that shows the problem?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
oatmealawk

Post by oatmealawk »

> Maybe you mean AOO 4.1.4? I've not heard of 4.1.5 being released.
See attachment

> Can you attach a small sample that shows the problem?
See attachment

> How did you create the bullets? What steps did you use?
Selected the icon in the banner.

> What document format are you using?
ODF
Attachments
Bullets
Bullets
CaptureOObullets.PNG (3.66 KiB) Viewed 8838 times
Version
Version
CaptureOOversion.PNG (10.54 KiB) Viewed 8838 times
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

oatmealawk wrote:I upgraded to v4.1.5 and now the bullets in all of my documents have a "10" in the middle of them.
Are you saving as, or working on, a .doc file? If so, see [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for the reason it is happening. "Typical corruptions are the bullet appearing with a digit inside (10 is common) ..."
acknak wrote:Can you attach a small sample that shows the problem?
acknak means upload the actual document file.

By the way - it has nothing to do with the change from 4.1.4 to 4.1.5.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

This has been reported before on other versions of OpenOffice. Did you try restarting the computer?

Re: Corrupted Bullets

Also see:

[Solved] Bullet list default item 4.1.1
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See also [Solved] Bullet Point Characters Incorrect where it is shown to be a font substitution problem.

Please upload a small file showing the problem so it can be analysed.

If you don't upload, we are having to guess and may not be solving YOUR problem.

Also see Re: Oddities Involving Bullets/Outlines & Font Styles/Highli where Bill says:
John_Ha wrote:This Character Style is then applied to the bullets, list and numbered items by the Format > Bullets and Numbering dialogue ..., where it appears under the Option tab as the selected Character Style. If I set it to None there, Writer does not change the format of the bullet - it just removes the strike through or highlight. If I choose Bullet instead of None Writer then changes the format of the bullets themselves.
I'd change the Character Style to "Numbering Symbols" instead of "None". "Numbering Symbols" is the default Character Style for numbering. If the Character Style is set to "None", then the bullets are formatted using the style of the paragraph text.

While this fixes the bullets if you use only .odt documents, the problem will reappear if the document is saved as a .doc file because of the way Writer imports bullets and numbering from .doc files.

To fix the problem when using .doc files the problematic character styles have to be corrected.

In this case, the problems are with level 4 and level 6 numbering which use the WW8Num1z3 and WW8Num1z5 Character Styles. In the Styles and Formatting window, right-click the WW8Num1z3 Character style, select the Font Effects tab and click "Standard" to remove the Strikethrough Font Effect. To fix the WW8Num1z5 Character Style, open it for modification, select the Background tab and select "Standard".

The initial problem may be caused by this bug:
Issue 75510 - WW8: some formats of numbering labels revert to settings of paragraph style on re-import

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

oatmealawk wrote:I upgraded to v4.1.5 and now the bullets in all of my documents have a "10" in the middle of them
Please upload a small file (.odt or .doc) showing the problem so it can be analysed.

oatmealawk

Post by oatmealawk »

Here is a file, showing the issue.
Attachments
sample of bulelts.odt
(9.25 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Thank you.

This is what I see when I open your file. What do you see?

I also ran TestFonts and there are no missing fonts for me. The document is calling for Times New Roman (Regular) (as opposed to Italic or Bold) and I have Times New Roman (Regular) installed.
Attachments
Clipboard03.gif

oatmealawk

Post by oatmealawk »

Attached
Attachments
CaptureBullets.PNG
CaptureBullets.PNG (1.75 KiB) Viewed 8634 times
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Two questions

1. Do you have the Open Symbol font installed? Go to C:\Windows\Fonts - this is what I have on W7
C:\Windows\Fonts
C:\Windows\Fonts
2. Open any AOO text document. Try to select the Open Symbol font - this is what I get
Clipboard02.gif
This is what styles.xml says and, if I am interpreting it correctly, it is saying that Bullets use the Open Symbol font.

Code: Select all

<style:style style:name="Bullet_20_Symbols" style:display-name="Bullet Symbols" style:family="text">
	<style:text-properties style:font-name="OpenSymbol" style:font-name-asian="OpenSymbol" style:font-name-complex="OpenSymbol"/>
</style:style>
Note that content.xml from your file shows the correct symbols - they match the symbols I see when I view the document.
content.xml
content.xml

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Question 3. Create a PDF by File > Export as PDF. On the General tab tick the PDF/A-1a tickbox - this will also tick the Embed standard fonts tickbox. Now open the PDF in Adobe Reader and go File > Properties > Fonts. Does it show that the Open Symbol font has been embedded?

Note how the bullets appear OK in my PDF and that the Open Symbol font has been embedded.
pdf.gif
This Microsoft page Fonts supplied with* Windows 7 does not show that an Open Symbol is delivered with Windows 7 though what looks to be a similar Symbol font is delivered.

Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The OpenSymbol font is included with AOO and LO, not Windows. Open the Fonts folder. If the OpenSymbol font is missing. Repair/reinstall AOO to install the OpenSymbol font.
oatmealawk

Post by oatmealawk »

Back to my original post, something about the upgrade to v4.1.5 caused this. Bullets were working fine, before the upgrade. There is a bug with that release.
oatmealawk

Post by oatmealawk »

Going back through the thread

> This has been reported before on other versions of OpenOffice.
> Re: Corrupted Bullets

So it is a known issue, which was not fixed in v4.1.5

How do you all track issues? Has this been logged as a bug yet?
oatmealawk

Post by oatmealawk »

Ok, bugzilla. https://bz.apache.org/ooo/ Looking quickly I don't see this issue. Any problems with me creating a new one?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

oatmealawk wrote:Any problems with me creating a new one?
Maybe. If you post a bug that can't be duplicated, then you will be asked how to duplicate the bug. There's nothing in this thread that tells me any way to duplicate the problem. The problem doesn't suddenly appear just by upgrading AOO and I've tried several times while looking for a cause for this problem. I can only consistently duplicate the problem by deliberately removing a font, which is not a bug.

Did you read my last post about the OpenSymbol font and did you follow up on that?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

To summarise:

1. Bullets with a figure 10 in them are caused by the OpenSymbol font being missing from C:\Windows\Fonts.
Document when OpenSymbol font is missing
Document when OpenSymbol font is missing
Clipboard03.gif (22.87 KiB) Viewed 8565 times
2. The OpenSymbol font is delivered with AOO and is installed when AOO is installed.

3. The fix is to reinstall the OpenSymbol font.

Download AOO and double-click it. When you are asked, choose Repair (or do a complete re-install).

Alternatively, find openoffice1.cab in the AOO 4.1.5 Installation Files. Unzip it. Extract opens___.ttf. Right-click it > Install.

I have just deleted the OpenSymbol font from my C:\Windows\Fonts and run Step 3 above. The OpenSymbol font was replaced.

This is the contents of openoffice1.cab from the AOO 4.1.5 Installation Files as seen when opened by 7-ZIP. The OpenSymbol font is opens___.ttf.
Clipboard05.gif
If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.