General Error. General input/ouput error code

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
KaraHRN

General Error. General input/ouput error code

Post by KaraHRN »

openoffice 4.1.4
Windows 10 Home
Recently had computer worked on and my Microsoft Office was replaced with OpenOffice which I NO longer have access to. I've been trying to "clean up" duplicates from a total of 3 computers which have all been placed on my current one. Now I am getting error "General Error. General input/ouput error" when I attempt to open some of my files. I'm not very computer savy at all. I had gotten used to MicrosoftOffice, but can no longer afford to purchase it. I'm stuck with this for now. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Kara
openoffice 4.1.4 Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: General Error. General input/ouput error code

Post by Bill »

Please explain what "some of my files" means. Are they files of a particular type? Are they files in a particular location? Are they random files? A screen shot of one or more of the error messges might also provide clues about the error.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A sample file might also be of help.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

KaraHRN wrote: I am getting error "General Error. General input/ouput error" when I attempt to open some of my files.
1. Do you run Windows Defender? If so, tell it to trust C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\soffice.bin

2. Say My Documents\Fred.odt cannot be opened by File > Open > navigate to My Documents > select Fred.odt. Using Windows, go to the My Documents folder and right-click Fred.odt > Properties. Does it say the file comes from another PC and is blocked? If so, click Unblock.

3. Can you open this test.odt file?

If you search the this forum, and the Writer forum, with general error you will see several posts about it.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
test.odt
(8.79 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.