[Solved] Can't edit files anymore. General input/out error

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Brightside Bob

[Solved] Can't edit files anymore. General input/out error

Post by Brightside Bob »

I was working on a pretty big project spread over multiple files that I had writen using apache and odt files, everything was working fine, untill I had to format my computer, so, I saved the files, and transfered them to the computer after the format.

The problem is that now open office will let me view and write in the files fine, but won't let save ANY changes to them.

Everytime I try to save a file I edited I get the error:

"Error saving the document X:

General input/output error while accessing C:/Users/User/file location/file."

When I click on ok, the error reappears a second time, and when I click ok a second time, I get a third error saying:

"Error saving the document X:

General Error.
General input/output error."

I looked up solution for this and they all say to go to %appdata% and delete the user profile, which I did multiple times, but it did nothing. I still can't edit any of the files."

What can I do to fix this? I'm incredibly frustrated after multiple attemps to fix it and finding no solutiono.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Windows 10, OpenOffice 4.1.4
RoryOF

Re: Can't edit files anymore. General input/out error.

Post by RoryOF »

I suspect this is caused by a recent (possibly silent) Win 10 update. Try the method described in
[Solved] Windows Defender prevents file opening
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Brightside Bob

Post by Brightside Bob »

I'm not using windows defender, I'm using malwarebytes which requires defender to be deactivated to function.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Are you using Malwarebytes for anti-ransomware protection or antivirus or both? The error messages you posted are what appear when Controlled Folder Access (anti-ransomware protection) in Windows Defender doesn't allow OpenOffice access to a folder. Open the Windows Defender Security Window, click Virus and threat protection, then click Virus and threat protection settings. Scroll down to Controlled folder access and verify that it is turned off.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Brightside Bob

Post by Brightside Bob »

Yeah seemed to work, in the end it was the defender, I thought it was disabled, but it seems it was causing the problem.

Thanks a lot, you can't imagine the ammount of work you saved me.

If all else failed I was planning to copy the 30 or so entries from odt files to word.