Document Recovery

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
ramblinrod

Document Recovery

Post by ramblinrod »

Version#4.1.4 Running Windows 10
I have used Open Office for several years. Recently I've been having a reoccurring error. When I try to open A Calc.document, a message box entitled "Open Office Document Recovery" It gives the document name and under "Status" it indicates "not recovered yet". I highlight the document name and select "start recovery" I then get the message "recovery failed" But; I select "next" and am given the password box. I enter password and the document opens. My biggest concern is; when this happened previously, eventually, I was unable to open the document. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Rod
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Document Recovery

Post by RoryOF »

Until you sort this problem, I would advise Saving the document _without_ a password, as if it is severely damaged in the recovery process, it may then be possible to recover some of the content.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Document Recovery

Post by John_Ha »

Take a copy of the file "just in case" and then try rejecting the recovery - that should prevent it happening again.

Now open the original file or the copy.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.