Delete blank page

Discuss the word processor
philk949

Delete blank page

Post by philk949 »

Hi,
Sometimes, after reformatting font sizes, or for other reasons, one is left with blank pages at the end of the document. How do I efficiently delete this/these pages?
Thank you.

Phil
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x
Caracalla
Volunteer

Re: Delete blank page

Post by Caracalla »

Just delete everything on it, including non-printng characters.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1
mixedcontent

Post by mixedcontent »

I have a blank page that I want to delete. I position the I-beam pointer in the big empty page box. I press "delete". The cursor now appears at the end of the last column of the last table on the previous page. The empty page is still showing. There is a header and a footer, and when I display non-printing characters, there is one "paragraph" symbol that I can't seem to delete. I can't select it. If I put the cursor beyond it and backspace, I am taken to the previous page. If I put the cursor before it and press Return, I insert another paragraph symbol. This one can be backed out, but the last paragraph symbol in the big empty box of text refuses to go away. So the blank page remains.

I think I've tried all that is suggested here, to no avail.
mister_d

Post by mister_d »

I've changed page margins (make them smaller) before to eliminate that page
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you upload a sample file (see: How to attach a document here)?

I've already seen that problem here but not sure I'll be able to find it out quickly, better see the file in itself.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
roger.brown

Post by roger.brown »

I have the exact same problem as user "mixedcontent" has described above.
I'm using OO 3.1.1 on Windows XP.

Attached below is the document -- TimeMonitor.odt.

Thanks if anybody can figure it out!
Attachments
TimeMonitor.odt
(12.5 KiB) Downloaded 1143 times
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows XP
acknak

Post by acknak »

Try this:

1) Put the editing cursor in the final paragraph (Crtl+End)
2) Insert > Fields > Other > Functions > Type: Hidden Paragraph; Condition: TRUE
3) Click "Insert"
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
roger.brown

Post by roger.brown »

Thanks.

I tried that and I can see the greyed out line it added but after that I still can't delete the blank page.

Can you try it on the attached file above?

Anybody else have any other ideas?
acknak

Post by acknak »

Can you try it on the attached file above?
Sure. That's how I arrived at the steps I gave.
... I can see the greyed out line it added but after that I still can't delete the blank page.
You can never "delete" a page. OOo Writer does not allow you to manipulate pages at all. The page is there because there is document content that needs someplace to appear, so another page is needed. If you hide the final, empty paragraph, or make it small enough so that it fits on the same page as your table, the extra page is not necessary and it will not appear.

Make sure the option View > Hidden paragraphs is OFF, and also the print option to print hidden content.
 Edit: PS: 
You can accomplish the same thing by putting the cursor in the last, empty paragraph and changing the font size to "2" Just click in the font size display and edit the number, then press Enter. That makes the size of that final paragraph small enough to fit within the margins of the previous page.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
roger.brown

Post by roger.brown »

acknak wrote:...
Make sure the option View > Hidden paragraphs is OFF, and also the print option to print hidden content.
 Edit: PS: 
You can accomplish the same thing by putting the cursor in the last, empty paragraph and changing the font size to "2" Just click in the font size display and edit the number, then press Enter. That makes the size of that final paragraph small enough to fit within the margins of the previous page.
Thanks for both tips -- (I had looked at the drop-down list of font sizes before and didn't think i could go smaller than 6) -- that did it!! :D

Thank you very much!
pratim

Post by pratim »

Hi,

I found simple solution . Press ctrl+end it will take you to the last page(I assume last page is the blank page). Now keep pressing the back space till the time the cursor will move to the the previous page.Once it will reach the previous page you can see the blank page to move way. You have to do multiple time if you have more than one blank page.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
burocat

Post by burocat »

I am running Mac OS X 10.6.6 with OpenOffice org 3.2.0 on a MacBook Pro and can't delete the blank Page 1 which suddenly appeared in my text document, possibly after I changed the font size.. Two non-printing characters denote select and adjust table column but I am unable to delete them. There are no tables in my document. Backspacing, using the delete key, etc., does not rid me of the unwanted page. Other solutions suggested here also have not proved effective.

I have also found Open Office will suddenly change the magnification of a document while I am typing even though I do not use the trackpad gesture necessary to make such a change. I then have to restore the original size via the View menu and zoom control.

Any assistance in dealing with either or both of these snafus would be much appreciated.
Open Office version 3.2.0, Mac OS X version 10.6.6
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you upload the file with the blank page (see: How to attach a document here)? For your other problem, please create a new topic.
hotellina

Hi,I have the same problem

Post by hotellina »

If I'm here to tell this to everyone it's because no one of the previous explored solutions has worked for me.

You can download the file here http://www.hotellinaservices.com/private/openoffice/Untitled%201.doc
please try to remove the last page without modify the table before of it.
I hope our Oracle will fix this bad bug.

Edit: 2023-06-16 The link above is broken, thus this post is now useless. -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator  
Last edited by robleyd on Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add note about broken link; disable link
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows XP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Workaround: Simply reduce your bottom margin to 0.625 inches (1.6cm).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I just tried something that works: create a new paragraph style and set its font to 1pt. Then apply it to the paragraph after the table and you're done.

That's not the first time I notice that direct formatting is not retained in an external format export whereas the same setting through a style is.

NB: but for the record, opening the files (your attachment above and the modified file I tested) leads to several pages in MS Word 2003 with pages having only 1 row at top of page.
b51harris

Post by b51harris »

I got an extra page after I created a table. The table on the second page had nothing in it. I right clicked on each row and deleted each row. That got rid of the second page. Now I don't have to worry about using extra paper when I print if I forget to just print the one page.
Open Office 3.1
Bill Sawyer

Post by Bill Sawyer »

I have found when there is a blank page at beginning or end of a document that one of two things will work.

Highlighting everything with cursor and hitting the "Delete" or "Backspace" key on the keyboard.

Highlighting everything with the cursor and going to the menu bar: Table > Delete > Table
Open Office 3.3.0
Windows 7
winnier

Post by winnier »

Save doc and Close OpenOffice. Open doc. Place cursor at top left corner of blank's writable area and Left click to stick cursor there. Backspace once to put cursor at end of doc text on previous desired page. Blank will take off.
openoffice4.0 0n windows 7
time base

Post by time base »

I found a solution.
Select the Paragraph on the unwanted (last) page.
Then select Format, Paragraph, and under Breaks, unselect "Insert".
worked like a charm in my document.
Good luck :super:
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
niijel

Post by niijel »

I suspect the following 'problem' is caused by me lacking an item of information...

I have found that the following creates a blank page with a single empty paragraph on it that I cannot remove using all the advice given above.

Original document is .doc
Saved as .odt
Document has page footer but no headers.
There is no page footer on page 1.
Insert a table at bottom of page 1, aligned bottom.

Result is a blank page 2 (complete with footer) that I cannot remove.

It seems wrong to have something visible that I cannot select and cannot delete?
OpenOffice 4.11 on Windows 10 home
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You can see empty paragraphs, spaces, tabs by enabling /View /non printing characters.

I have a memory (possibly faulty) of previous discussions about tables enforcing a trailing empty paragraph. It was something to do with full page tables giving a second but blank page, occupied only by the empty paragraph. Perhaps reduce that empty paragraph to 2 pts (minimum allowed) and change the table alignment so that it all fits on the previous page but 2 pts higher, which ought not be obtrusively noticeable. I don't use tables, so cannot be of more specific help.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
niijel

Post by niijel »

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately not a solution I could use. Essentially I had a batch of documents created in various versions of MS word by many different authors and all heavily ammended. The requirement was to apply a set of corporate styles to them and meet the companies style guidelines. The conclusion I arrived at was that AOO (and other similar products based on the open office code) had issues with paragraph styles, the management of styles and the interaction between styles and toolbar options. Many of these (sometimes subtle) issues have been causing problems to users for years (I looked in various forums to determine this). Thankfully I found a low priced commercial product that met my needs and included diagnostic tools to resolve the problems hidden in the documents.
OpenOffice 4.11 on Windows 10 home
clions

Post by clions »

I had the same problem. I created a new document with the margins etc. needed to accommodate my text. (I only had a one page document, a resume.) I then copied and pasted from the old document with the extra page, into the new blank document.
openoffice3.1 windows 8
ianshilstone

Post by ianshilstone »

I suffered this issue when I had only a header and a table on the first page. The second page was stubborn and couldn't be deleted. What worked for me was to:
1. Select the table
2. Copy it into the clipboard (e.g. (Ctrl-C)
3. Delete it
4. Insert a / some blank line(s)
5. Paste the clipboarded table (Ctrl-V) above the blank line
6. It's fixed

So it seems that the "feature" is caused by the content being limited to a table, so make sure you have some extra content, and bingo!
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
martinwinlow

Post by martinwinlow »

In my case the extra blank page appears to be there because the table on the last page with anything interesting on it (the penultimate page) is longer than the Format > Page - Bottom Margin is set to. Make the bottom margin lower or make the bottom of the table on the penultimate page higher and the blank last page disappears.

MW
OpenOffice 4.1.2 MacOS10.11.6