[Solved] Tablet vs text

Discuss the word processor
shawn902

[Solved] Tablet vs text

Post by shawn902 »

I have recently downloaded 4.1.4 onto my Windows 7 computer. I am trying to create a Christmas letter so am using Writer. I opened a new document page and then copied my wife's email version of the Christmas letter created on her ipad onto the new page. I had to make some formatting and font changes, but that was straightforward. My problem is the letter extends two pages, but I can only get a single page of wording.....the remainder does not go to a second page. I get the "Tablet" toolbar on the upper left side and maybe that is restricting me. I want to be in a "text" format, but I can't seem to get there. I would appreciate any help you can give me. I have used the previous version of OpenOffice Writer and never had this issue.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 4.1.4 on Windows 7
FJCC

Re: Tablet vs text

Post by FJCC »

I suspect the text was converted to a table when you pasted it. Is it the Table toolbar you are seeing at the upper left? Try selecting the menu items Edit -> Select All and then Edit Copy. Open a new document, choose Edit -> Paste Special and select Unformatted Text. Does that version behave properly?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
shawn902

Post by shawn902 »

That should be "Table" instead of tablet. I can't toggle between the two using Navigator. Sorry.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Are you sure that toolbar isn't Table ? If it is, perhaps the item you are copying has a table format (possible if it is a HTML email).
You could try Table | Convert to turn the table into text.
If that doesn't succeed, try re-creating the document; open a new Writer document, copy the email and then use Paste Special to insert and choose un-formatted text (or similar) from the paste options.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
shawn902

Post by shawn902 »

Thank you for the quick reply. I just stumbled upon the solution by clicking on the convert tab and it solved my issue. Now I'm able to proceed to my next challenge....importing some pictures into the document. First need to resize the pics. I appreciate your help.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

You may find this a useful resource: [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers