CPU usage high while docs mimimized and idle

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
fergtoons

CPU usage high while docs mimimized and idle

Post by fergtoons »

When I have a couple of documents and/or calc sheets open, but minimized and idle (meaning I'm using another program and haven't touched Open Office for a while), the CPU usage is still quite high (10-20%), and constantly raising and lowering. Why is this? And is there something I can do to minimize the CPU usage when I'm not actively using the program, but haven't closed all the docs?

(this is on a PC with Windows 10, 64-bit)
Apache Open Office 4.1.3
Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: CPU usage high while docs mimimized and idle

Post by Bill »

I can't duplicate this for local documents. When docs are minimized, CPU usage for OpenOffice is 0%.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: CPU usage high while docs mimimized and idle

Post by John_Ha »

I assume you have identified it is definitely AOO consuming the CPU and not some other process(es).

1. Leave it for a few minutes. Does it reduce to a small value?

2. Create a few simple test documents with a few lines of text, and a few test spreadsheets with a few simple lines of addition. Is the CPU high when you have only these test files open?

3. If not, open one of the original set of files as well - does it now do it? Repeat until all the original files are open - can you see where the problem begins?

4. Boot into Safe mode (check Help). Does it still do it?

5. Is Disk Utilisation in TaskManager running at, or close to, 100%? There seems to be a bug in W10 where disk utilisation is reported as 100% and the PC is crippled. See Task Manager might show 100% disk utilization on Windows 10 devices with Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) mode enabled. The reported "fix" did not solve the problem on my Acer laptop but installing a copy of W7 I bought on eBay did.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.