[Solved] Suddenly Cntrl>B alters attributes in all doc

Discuss the word processor
Philiph

[Solved] Suddenly Cntrl>B alters attributes in all doc

Post by Philiph »

Hi there
Thanks in advance for reading this.
I have been using AOO for about 12 months, mostly Writer.
This is my first time post, I have muddled through...
Today, formatting my document I am writing, I was marking up particular text to make it Bold, and then it started formatting the document as Bold text, beyond what I had marked up. This is a common function to I use for report writing in editing, using all different font styles and attributes as required.
I am just using a default style font, and have been for months, in drafting the body text.
I am not sure where to find this question, under what enquiry line here, which FAQ - so thanks for your patience.
Thanks Philiph
Last edited by Philiph on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 7 Professional
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Writer: Suddenly Cntrl>B alters attributes in all docume

Post by jrkrideau »

You might try turning on the formatting marks, the pilcrow or reversed p in the toolbar (¶) to see if anything looks funny. Is there any chance you may have a non-breaking space in there? It should not be doing this but it might.

Otherwise could you upload a small file with the offending text? There is an upload tab at the bottom of the Quote and the Reply windows.

I would recommend never using manual formatting. AOO is designed to work at its best when all the formatting is done using Styles. You can set up custom templates very easily and using Styles seems to result in more stable documents and ones that export to Word better if this is a concern.

Welcome to the forum.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

This will happen if the AutoUpdate option for the Default Style has been checked. It is unchecked by default.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Philiph

Post by Philiph »

Thank you jrkrideau. I tried this and I had no issues with the spacing that seemed unusual, and

Thanks you Bill, how would I have found that without you! :crazy:

Yes, the AutoUpdate box was enabled, and I unchecked it. :knock:

I appreciate you both stepping in with suggestions. :super:

kind regards
philiph
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 7 Professional