OpenOffice 3.4 is constantly crashing

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Flynn MacNiall

Re: OpenOffice 3.4 is constantly crashing

Post by Flynn MacNiall »

Thanks for trying.
I see nothing in TM to do with AOO to clear.
It seems i solved the problem by uninstalling 4.1.4 and downloading and installing 3.4.1
It is a mystery as i said it worked (tuesday is writing day) last tuesday and not today. I don't recall and crashes until i tried to save an edited version of one of my working documents.
Oh, well.
Thanks for trying.
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Flynn MacNiall wrote:I was using 4.1.3 for months and it was working all the time. Today OO text just would not save. Error message (Open Office not responding) finally i just closed it and it crashed. I upgraded to 4.1.4 which did not help. The program went from working to not working just over night and i have done nothing different Thank Goodness I have Windows Word which will open the document (after telling me it cannot). Why do i read lots of suggestions from other users but no real answers from anyone. Is this Web Democracy at work? No one is taking responsibility for the working program it seems I guess I am an idiot and should just use Word. I have wasted hours trying to figure this out and do not have the patience to mess with it anymore.
The problem is almost certainly not with AOO which is successfully used by about 200 million people. The problem is almost certain to be with your PC and/or the way in which you are using AOO. If you don't like AOO be sure to return it and ask for your money back.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Flynn MacNiall

Post by Flynn MacNiall »

Gosh I understand your frustration with me we seem to have gotten off to a bad start, i was a bit snarky due to spending 3 hours trying to fix a program instead of using that valuable time to write. I apologize for that. But after trying all the things i could find, and most of them were suggestions from fellow users and not from the Admin I was pulling my hair out and expressed myself inappropriately - now the responses i get from you are even more snarky than my original one and I must have triggered a very negative response sequence.
I am sorry to have made you so angry with me.
I have MS Word but wanted to be a part of something larger than MS. And have used it successfully since 2012. Yesterday was the first time this problem has occured and i came to think it had to do with the Upgrade.
I tried yesterday using the forum following suggestions (including yours) to no avail.
It very well could be my computer - though it only seems to affect AOO version 4.1.3 and 4.1.4. As after uninstalling the version 4's and installing version 3.4.1 it is back to working seamlessly.
When i reset the user profile (the most often mentioned fix) it still did not work.
I uninstalled and reinstalled after resetting again and still it did not work (everything looks dandy, I can use all functions except it will not save, even (it seemed) ) using save as with a different name.
I looked in TM and only saw AOO 3.4.1 and no other AOO.
So, I am happy using the older version. I do not even know what i am missing by using it.
If you have any patience left for me and what i have outlined triggers any thoughts or suggestions i am open to it.
I do not want my money back, thanks anyway.
I downloaded OpenLibre yesterday and will take a swing at that to see if it works.
Again, sorry for my snark, I am much calmer today though i don't have any time to work on my novel sadly.

Yours sincerely
Flynn MacNiall
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The fact that OO 3.4.1 works on your computer and OO 4.x doesn't suggests quite strongly that the problem may be in the OO user profile, as each major digit version of OO generates its own user profile. When you deleted the OO 4 profile were you prompted for name/initials on next startup of OO4? If not, the profile was not deleted and it should be done again. In TM under Windows the files to look for used be "soffice" - note the leading "s" - but I haven't used Windows in years so may be out of date.

I've used OO in its various versions for ten years and have written well over a million words using it (several multi-volume books in progress); I find it extremely stable and wouldn't use anything else for serious writing.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Flynn MacNiall

Post by Flynn MacNiall »

after deleting (first making a copy which i placed in a new folder, named new folder haha) all that was in the User folder, AOO asked me for my information again as if it were my first time to use it. But, the problem persisted. Thanks for your help.

Flynn MacNiall
p.s.
I am still using AOO, just not the current versions and am disinclined to mess with my success - spent three very frustrating hours yesterday trying to find successions and fix the problem and go no where until i uninstalled and installed the version 3.1.4.

I first started using AOO in 2012, that is not a long time but long enough to know i am (was) happy with it.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Per chance did this problem occur, or was noticed, after a Windows 10 update? If so, then there is this post regarding problems with AOO after a Windows 10 update.
Even if you don't think it started then, I'd like to recommend that you give that topic a read.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Flynn MacNiall

Post by Flynn MacNiall »

installed Windows 10 last year i think but at least 8 months ago.

I cannot remember any change - oh, there was one of those rude Windows updates that closed out the PC with documents open, including AOO, but that happened more than a week ago and i write at least every tuesday (no wonder this novel has been in the works since 2012 LOL) so i don't think that was the deal...but I cannot be sure.

what should i look for?

Flynn
Flynn MacNiall

Post by Flynn MacNiall »

Regarding windows 10, i read and had already tried all of those things
Each time i tried to save it would stall, for like 10 minutes if i let it. If i didn't and tried to close the document then AOO crashed and when i reopened i saw those recovery available docs i recovered and tried again. Same thing, I even saved under a different name, but when i modified that document it did the same stall at save and then crashed i deleted the user folder and deleted the "locked" files and still.

So many things and i thought i tried them all and still tried to keep some order. But then i flipped out and uninstalled and installed 3.4.1 and that is where i am right now. It works.

In the dark and frustrated and confused.

But...I will try Libre next

Thanks

Flynn
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Flynn MacNiall wrote:I cannot remember any change - oh, there was one of those rude Windows updates that closed out the PC with documents open, including AOO, but that happened more than a week ago and i write at least every tuesday (no wonder this novel has been in the works since 2012 LOL) so i don't think that was the deal...but I cannot be sure.
There should have been a Windows 10 update on the day your problem occurred. MS issues security updates on the second Tuesday of the month.

November 14, 2017—KB4048955 (OS Build 16299.64)
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
craigo11

Post by craigo11 »

Hi just like you I've had constant problems with AOO crashing despite updating to AOO 4.1.4, is it my computer? (PC running on Windows 8.1) if anyone has an answer please advise.
Thanks,
Craig
Open Office 4.1.4 Operating System Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You should start by renaming you OpenOffice User Profile.

As you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a good choice. Start OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
craigo11

Post by craigo11 »

Thanks for your message I did as suggested and the search has been going for 20 min now and didn't find the folder,
Craig
Open Office 4.1.4 Operating System Windows 8.1
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Make sure to select the View menu of the File Explorer and tick Hidden items (far right). Then search again.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

craigo11 wrote:Thanks for your message I did as suggested and the search has been going for 20 min now and didn't find the folder,
Craig
Use the Address Bar, not the Search Box. Using the Address Bar will go immediately to the folder. Using the Search Box won't because you're entering a folder address, not a folder name.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04