How to label a circle from 0 to 360

Discuss the drawing application
Shonya

How to label a circle from 0 to 360

Post by Shonya »

Hello,

I wonder if it's possible to label a regular circle from 0 to 360 degree. Basically draw a protractor.

Thank you.
OpenOffice 4.1.4
windows 7 Home Premium
RoryOF

Re: How to label a circle from 0 to 360

Post by RoryOF »

Perhaps an invisible 360 sided polygon behind the circle?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

A chart generated in Calc and copied over to a Draw page.
Attachments
Circle.odg
(43.87 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
acknak

Post by acknak »

Yes, it's possible, but not easily (could be more or less easy depending on how many labels you want). You can create the division lines using Edit > Duplicate ... but you'd have to create the labels and place them manually.

I think Villeroy is on the right track: use Calc and/or Chart to do the heavy lifting, then copy into OO Draw. You can use Paste Special to paste the chart as an editable Draw object so it can be tweaked in Draw.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I am a mere mortal and Villeroy's circle was beyond me :crazy:

It can easily be done by Copy and Rotate, Copy and Rotate, Copy and Rotate ...

1. Draw a vertical line. This line is at 90 degrees. I added a small circle to tell me where the centre needs to be.

2. Select the line > Copy. Click in the page to un-select. Right-click the background > Paste. This creates a new copy on top of the original line (Note - you can do it with text.)

3. Modify > Rotate. This adds the rotate handle. Drag the handle to where you want the centre. right-click the line > Position and size > Rotation > type in 100 degrees. This moves the copy line 10 degrees anti-clockwise.

4. Go to step 2 and repeat until all are done. If you want to get clever, select multiple lines, group them, and copy and rotate them :super:
Clipboard01.png
If you add the text for the number, you can group the text and the line into a single unit. Now, when you select the group and rotate and copy, the text will be replicated as well. Un-group to edit the text.
Text grouped and rotated
Text grouped and rotated
Clipboard03.png (2.74 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
A proper CAD drawing system usually has a "Replicate - Multiple copy and shift/rotate" command so you can do 35 copies in one go.
 Edit: So does Draw.

There is a Rotate option in Edit > Duplicate ..., (which I did not know about - thanks acknak) which allows you to create multiple copies. Unfortunately I cannot see a way to set the rotation centre - it uses the centre of the object selected to rotate. If you adjusted the object so it was "twice too long" it would then rotate about the "end of the object you want". 
If this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
protractor.odg
(10.04 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

John_Ha wrote:I am a mere mortal and Villeroy's circle was beyond me :crazy:
Sorry. ;)
Fill out A1:A360
Start the chart wizard
Type: Pie Chart
Chart elements: no legend
[Finish]
Select the one data series
Call "Insert Labels" from the context menu
Call the labels format dialog
Change the "Placement" from "best fit" (which does not really fit here) to "outside".
Choose a small font.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Ah!!!! Got it!

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

John_Ha wrote:If you add the text for the number, you can group the text and the line into a single unit. Now, when you select the group and rotate and copy, the text will be replicated as well. Un-group to edit the text.
Unfortunately I cannot see a way to set the rotation centre - it uses the centre of the object selected to rotate. If you adjusted the object so it was "twice too long" it would then rotate about the "end of the object you want".
See below where I copy-rotated the original line through 180 degrees to give me "twice as long centred on the centre". I selected both and used Edit > Duplicate ..., and rotated both items by 30 degrees, with 5 copies to give a total of 12 divisions.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png

musikai
Volunteer

Post by musikai »

Or let the turtle do the job!
But the Turtle has his home in LibreOffice and works in Writer.
:ucrazy:

What?
In LibreOffice Writer you can can enable the LibreLogo Toolbar and write a little program to let "the turtle" draw a Draw graphic.
You then can copy the graphic into Draw if you want.
Playing with the Turtle was much fun and I excuse its little shortage in precision when it comes to exact degrees.
About LibreLogo commands:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreLogo
https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/LibreLogo_Toolbar
Turtle.png
Attachments
LibreLogoTurtle-Protractor.odt
program and created Draw graphic
(19.65 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Win7 Pro, Lubuntu 15.10, LO 4.4.7, OO 4.1.3
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/li ... itect.html
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Thank you very much.
musikai
Volunteer

Post by musikai »

John_Ha wrote: A proper CAD drawing system usually has a "Replicate - Multiple copy and shift/rotate" command so you can do 35 copies in one go.
 Edit: So does Draw.

There is a Rotate option in Edit > Duplicate ..., (which I did not know about - thanks acknak) which allows you to create multiple copies. Unfortunately I cannot see a way to set the rotation centre - it uses the centre of the object selected to rotate. If you adjusted the object so it was "twice too long" it would then rotate about the "end of the object you want". 
Ah, good to know!!!
Win7 Pro, Lubuntu 15.10, LO 4.4.7, OO 4.1.3
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/li ... itect.html
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If one was going to print out the protractor, two problems may arise: firstly, paper/card is not a dimensionally stable base; it will expand differently on each of its axes as humidity changes. Secondly, a printer may not render a circle as an exact circle - it may be OK for visual purposes, but may be slightly elliptical when accurately measured.

Of course, for normal hand drawing, these problems may not be of significance, but one should be aware of the potential for errors in the most exacting circumstances.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS