Issue w/ copy/cut paste

Discuss the word processor
mechanized82

Issue w/ copy/cut paste

Post by mechanized82 »

I'm not sure if this is a bug and I just need to upgrade my version or if it is a setting that I botched somewhere.

In the spreadsheet doc I select the the cells for what I want to copy or cut, then I move over to the text doc and paste it and it cuts off the bottom 3 or 4 cells of what I copied.

Any ideas what is causing this? It's a new problem too. Last time I did a project like this I had no issues.
Open office 4.0 on windows 7
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Issue w/ copy/cut paste

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

1. Try copying (I used Ctrl+C) the 40 x 3 cells in this spreadsheet and pasting (I used Ctrl+V) into a new text document.

2. Try booting the PC in Safe Mode (google it). If it does not happen in Safe Mode it is because of a program which is started when the PC boots.

3 Boot normally. Reset the profile - see Resetting the user profile.

NB - you say " doc ". See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.
Attachments
test spread.ods
(11.05 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
mechanized82

Post by mechanized82 »

Thanks for the reply.

Everything of mine is ODS or ODT. Just bad use of terminology on my part. I didn't even try the safe mode thing. I noticed an immediate difference. Pasted yours test sheet into my writer and it was fine. Noticed that your font size and font is standard, so that is what I tested because mine isn't. Changed font, no issues, changed size... and viola... that's it. I'm doing everything on my spreadsheet in 7pt size and it's copying a much smaller portion than what I actually highlight. Any ideas what causes this?

I can actually get all of my spread sheet to copy, but i have to guess and select much more than what is in use in order to get all of it transferred to the writer.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Sounds to me like you might have a font with the correct name, but not all of the same sizes that are showing, thus OpenOffice is doing a font substitute, and you're actually getting something that is bigger in appearance than the actual characters.
The only thing I can suggest is trying different font sizes until you find one that works, and then use scaling to have it appear the way you want.
I admit this isn't the ideal option, which, I think, would mean having to find the font file and see just what sizes are actually in it (I have no idea as to how you would do that), but it might be a reasonable work-around
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Remember that the font showing in the Writer font drop-down selection box is the font the document is asking for. This may NOT be the font being used to create the display because, if the font being asked for is not installed on the PC, Windows (or other operating system) will silently substitute a different font which is available.

The [url=hhttp://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/testfonts]TestFonts[/url] add-on is invaluable for finding missing fonts which the document is asking for, but which are not installed on the PC.

You can see which fonts are installed on the PC by Start > Control Panel > Fonts or by clicking C:\Windows\Fonts.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
mechanized82

Post by mechanized82 »

I have the font, it's Calibri which if I'm not mistaken is standard with win7.

It's not the font. I tried different fonts, arial, times, same effect. It's the size. No matter the font, if the size is not 10pt it cuts my selection off. Interestingly enough, 6pt vs 7pt cuts off equally but 6 is smaller as it should be. Then 8pt copied/pasted adds a little more of the selection, 9pt copied/pasted a little more then with 10pt copied/pasted I get my full selection.

Unless there is something that can fix this, it seems my only choice is to do as RusselB suggested and do everything in 10point then scale it all down. Definitely not my first choice as I feel this will leave me with inconsistent font sizes across the whole page.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Upload a sample problem file so it can be looked at.

This 3 point text copies properly.

What happened when you tried these recommendations?
2. Try booting the PC in Safe Mode (google it). If it does not happen in Safe Mode it is because of a program which is started when the PC boots.

Attachments
3 point.ods
(8.63 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

mechanized82

Post by mechanized82 »

John_Ha wrote:Upload a sample problem file so it can be looked at.

This 3 point text copies properly.

What happened when you tried these recommendations?

Same issue in safe mode.

new discovery... It only happens when I change size by selecting whole rows. If I select individual cells, no issues. Due to this it seems like it's actually a row height issue because when altering font size by individual cells it won't alter row height.

Haven't tried resetting profile. I'll do that now if you think it will help.
mechanized82

Post by mechanized82 »

Nope, it's not row height. I can squish that all I want and it works properly.

It only happens when you select font size via whole row selection. That's it. Does this happen to any of you? At least I know an easy work around now.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Upload a sample problem file so it can be looked at.
It is very difficult to help you when you ignore requests for information. I use a structured diagnostic methodology and you are not providing the information asked for.
mechanized82 wrote:Haven't tried resetting profile. I'll do that now if you think it will help.
Do you really think I would waste my time typing these words if I did not think it will help?

mechanized82

Post by mechanized82 »

uploaded...

Do you really think I would waste my time typing these words if I did not think it will help?
You're asking me to make changes to my PC which could be aggravating to restore to normal. I'm not even sure because I've never done it. The first "How to" I found had someone say that they knew someone who reset their profile and could never log back into win7 again. After reading that imagine my point of view especially because I'm no computer expert. All the while im in the middle of finding out the precise way to recreate the problem. I was just sharing the information before doing anything drastic.
Attachments
Copy paste problem.odt
(39.04 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The OpenOffice profile only contains information about your installation of OpenOffice.
The instructions for resetting the OpenOffice profile are as clear as possible and in no way affect the ability to log into Windows.
That is a very different profile and stored in a very different location. There are safeties in place through Windows to protect the Windows login profile.
If someone managed to bypass those safeties, then they are either cleverer than I am, or dumber by not heeding the many warnings
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
mechanized82

Post by mechanized82 »

RusselB wrote:The OpenOffice profile only contains information about your installation of OpenOffice.
The instructions for resetting the OpenOffice profile are as clear as possible and in no way affect the ability to log into Windows.
That is a very different profile and stored in a very different location. There are safeties in place through Windows to protect the Windows login profile.
If someone managed to bypass those safeties, then they are either cleverer than I am, or dumber by not heeding the many warnings
I thought he meant to reset my win7 user profile. lol... not an open office profile. For some reason the link he posted wasn't connecting the first time i clicked it so I just googled "reset user profile" lol, big misunderstanding. And link works fine now so I'll go try it. :knock:
mechanized82

Post by mechanized82 »

I reset the profile. Didn't make a difference.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Please upload the spreadsheet file from which you are copying.

Please give us the steps you are doing in detail: "When I copy from ... it works OK, But when I do this ... and copy from ... the things I copy get truncated. I copy by doing the following steps .... I paste by these steps ..."

Note that you are bringing the spreadsheet data across as an OLE object and not as text - when I stretch it the text distorts. The cells displayed are those which are visible with the scroll bar in the position it is when displaying the scroll bars. See the Calc manual for more information.
Data is an OLE object
Data is an OLE object
If you double-click the object you get scroll bars which allow you to see all the data.
double-clicking brings up scroll bars
double-clicking brings up scroll bars
Note that your problem would have been solved instantly had you uploaded both the .odt and the .ods file with your first post. Because you did not do so responders were forced to guess what might be wrong and went down many blind alleys.

If this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

mechanized82

Post by mechanized82 »

You've shown me how to adjust the position with the scroll bars but you haven't explained the inconsistency in the program which is the cause of all my confusion. The top 3 in my uploaded file worked fine and were positioned properly when pasted because I adjusted the font and row height manually in the spreadsheet. The bottom 3 were goofed and needed adjusted via the steps in your previous post because I highlighted the entire row or spreadsheet and let the program automatically adjust row height for whatever font size I chose.

Is this intended with the program and why?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See attached where it copies correctly at 2 point text. I pasted with Edit > Paste Special > Calc8. When I paste with Edit > Paste, I get the table.

Question 1: Are you trying to paste as an OLE object, where you can use the spreadsheet in the document and where any update to the spreadsheet automatically appears in the document? When you open the text document it asks if you want the data updated. Note: The attached .ods and .odt must be in the same folder for it to be updated.

Note that Highlight the OLE object > right-click > Edit ..., allows me to change the size of the "window" to make more or fewer cells visible. Only the data in the copied cells appears - the other data cells does not. Do some simple experiments to sort out for yourself how it all works.

Question 2: Or do you just want the data as now in the spreadsheet?

Please give details of how you are doing the copy and paste or, if this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
test1.ods
Spreadsheet
(8.36 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
test2.odt
Document
(26.97 KiB) Downloaded 89 times