[Solved] Unusual File Association Issue

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
ad9

[Solved] Unusual File Association Issue

Post by ad9 »

I have a very puzzling file ***ociation issue. After doing a system restore many of my files that were created with an old version of OpenOffice were changed to Notepad and now I cannot open them (original file type was odt).

I have ***ociated file ext's. with programs before but the bottom line here is that I don't know how to ***ociate Notepad with another program when Notepad itself is a program and not a file type (although it is displayed under the file type category). Also, I installed the latest version of Openoffice today (as someone suggested), but I get the same results (can't open the file).

More Detailed Info Below

When I right click and select Open With, it's says that there's no program ***ociated with the file and to create an ***ociation in Folders Option.

When I double click there's a dialog box for SourceForge titled: Media Info. It's gives the General Complete Name (C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\file name appears here), and the file size of the now Notepad doc.

Also, when I now create a document and save it (in any file type) then attempt to open it afterwards, the same dialog box appears and there's no way to access my saved content. In addition (it doesn't matter what file type I save docs in as it always ends up converting the file type to Notepad).

Has any one had this problem before - it's something that I never heard of before - please help!!!

UPDATE
Everything is still currently working smoothly and I haven't experienced the original issue again - and a special thanks to all
the volunteer's that take time to assistant others here as if they were being paid to do so. May good things come your way!
Last edited by ad9 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.4, Operating System XP
RusselB

Re: Unusual File Association Issue

Post by RusselB »

File associations tell Windows which program to use in order to open files with a certain extension.
For years now, Windows has hidden the extension, making it more difficult to change by accident (a good thing, in my opinion), yet it also makes it more difficult to change the extension if you want/need to have it changed.
The easiest way to handle this, is to find one of the files that you want to open in OpenOffice, right click on it, select Open With, then find the OpenOffice program in that list (it should be there)
For more detailed instructions, see the post at viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12918
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
ad9

Post by ad9 »

Thanks Russel for your input!

Here's the problem:
When I right click and select Open with, no programs appear. There is however the ever-so-popular dialog box letting me know that no program is associated with the file and to do so in Folder Options etc. But here's the issue that you didn't grasp as I previously mentioned, the original file (odt) was changed to Notepad. In other words, Notepad is the file type (not xls or sxw etc). Therefore, since Notepad is actually a program, I find it very strange indeed for it to be listed as the file type - and of course the million dollar question for me is - how do you associate a program with a file, which really isn't a file, but a program all to itself??? Also, BTW I downloaded the OOo utility and couldn't get it to function and besides that, all the file types listed didn't apply to my situation.

Is it anything further you can suggest?
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Notepad is the program that has been associated with the file extensions.
The link I gave you contains instructions on how to change that for your operating system.
As to your statement about a OOo utility, I'm unaware of such a program and would recommend that you check your system for viruses and malware asap, as that program (utility) may not be benfeficial
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Did you get the "utility" from http://www.openoffice.org/download/? If so, that would likely be Apache OpenOffice which needs to be installed - instructions are here - note especially the part on (selecting) file association information.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Note that Windows XP support, including upgrades to current security standards, ended three years ago. Using a Windows XP system to access the internet is risky. Even if the utility you mentioned is harmless, you may be the victim of other malware. Please heed the advice from RusselB above.

Many security software titles do not work on Windows XP any more, but some do.
Try Malwarebytes Antimalware for starters. (Do not download any offered "old malwarebytes for Windows XP". The currently offered download should work on your system.)
Spybot Search & Destroy is another title worth looking at. Their newest version does not run on WinXP, but version 2.4 does. I have linked to the 2.4 download page. (That old version still receives updated malware signatures.)

Please consider upgrading to a more secure operating system (some currently supported version of Windows or linux). You make the web safer for yourself, and also for the rest of us.
ad9

Post by ad9 »

A hardy thanks to everyone. I am here to report that all is well.

Just a brief "how-did-it-happen" summary; I came across the solution by accident. After spending long hours daily (seeking a remedy), I decided to add a PC Booster/Reg Cleaner to compliment (the installed) ccleaner. I downloaded Advanced System Optimizer and it corrected & repaired many items, including my registry. Upon completion, the Notepad ext. had been converted to File (unknown file type). I then dived into another intensive search and discovered the following: Filext.com and Mark0.net/onlinetrid.aspx; the former is a database of file extensions and the various programs that use them. The latter (Trid) identifies unknown files by giving the extension and file type. After gleaning this vital info I was then able to associate a program with the (revealed) extension and file type.

Happy Holidays!

P.S.
Here's another nugget that will help those that view this post in the future. First let me mention that I use a VPN as well as Malwarebytes (it replaced AVG). Now, I came across a light anti-malware/anti-ransom application that's simply fantastic - the name is WinPatrol and it blocks intruders, protects registries and encrypts docs., music & photos plus more, get it!!!