Support for open/view a PDF file

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
barneywray

Support for open/view a PDF file

Post by barneywray »

Hi - I have used Writer to open .DOC and .PDF documents in the past, and particularly to open .DOC and export to PDF. This is in Win10. Some time ago I updated to 4.1.4, and recently this capability was lost. I have not tried to do a Restore. I did uninstall 4.1.4 and re-installed 4.1.3. I installed PDF import extension for Apache OpenOffice 0.1.0, but I'm not sure that is what I used previously. My installation currently opens a PDF in Draw, and it is Slow. How can I get that functionality back?
Barney Wray, OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Support for open/view a PDF file

Post by RoryOF »

When using OO, PDF files have always been opened in Draw. OO is not a good PDF editor; there are better PDF viewers and other applications permitting more extensive editing than OO.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Install a PDF viewer. There are dozends of them for free and for all platforms.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
ShatteredCrest

Post by ShatteredCrest »

I would love to have a proper PDF editor built into OpenOffice! The free, dedicated PDF editors are all garbage and frequently just a skin for an ad-feeder platform.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 | Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I would love to have a proper PDF editor built into OpenOffice!
I think it, you must buy an Adobe Acrobat software (Not the free Reader), if you want a full featured PDF-editor software.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See the tutorial about PDF files.
 Edit: Added hyperlink to John_Ha's tutorial about working with a PDF in this office suite. -- MrProgrammer 
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.