[Issue] Preview of document in Windows 10

Discuss the word processor
josenaber

[Issue] Preview of document in Windows 10

Post by josenaber »

I have OpenOffice 4.1.4 and Windows 10. In Windows Explorer I open my Documents folder, if the file is a PDF I can click on the document and a "preview pane" opens to to the right side of my screen and displays the document so I can determine if that is the file I need to edit. However, if the document is an OpenOffice document and I click on it, the preview pane indicates that: "No preview available".

Like most any program today OpenOffice has a limited number of documents that can be listed under "Open" or "Recent documents" list. Having the ability to preview an OpenOffice document in Windows 10 before opening it into the OpenOffice program itself is a life savor. This feature allow me to scan through a list of possibly 50 documents and not have to open each one until I find the "one" document I am needing.

Is there a app that OpenOffice has which allows you to "preview" the OpenOffice document in the preview pane of the Documents folder in Windows 10, before opening the document for editing? I discovered that Microsoft Office 365 has this feature (it was on my old computer) and permitted me to "preview" an OpenOffice document as described. However, each time I did this I was prompted to purchase the program which obviously I declined (OpenOffice is a much better program). Does OpenOffice offer something similar?

Thank you
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue] (link to a bug report).
OpenOffice 4.1.4, on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Preview of document in Windows 10

Post by Villeroy »

Re-run the installer. At some point you can select optional components. There is something like "explorer integration".
Sorry, I don't know the exact details. No more Windows here.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Works out of the box with https://libreoffice.org/
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

No previews are shown with either AOO or LO. Thumbnails, which are often confused with previews, are shown with both AOO and LO. A request to add a preview handler to LO was closed as invalid, claiming that the feature was in the optional Windows Explorer Extension and previews could be seen by setting the view to Medium Icons, Large Icons or Extra Large Icons. That claim is obviously referring to thumbnails, not previews. Thumbnails replace icons when Medium, Large or Extra Large icons are selected. Previews are displayed in a preview pane when any view layout is selected, not just the larger icon layouts.

While the LO issue was closed, the AOO issue is still open.

Bug 89964 - Requesting a preview handler for windows explorer
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04