[Solved] Protecting my spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
grahamxy

[Solved] Protecting my spreadsheet

Post by grahamxy »

I have done everything (about 10 times!!) to protect a spreadsheet I have created, when I test it works fine and as it should. I save it to a memory stick and then download it from the stick back on to my desktop only to find everything is open and can be altered therefore ruining the whole thing.
Does anyone have any clues hows to help?
Last edited by grahamxy on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.1 OpenOffice Version 4.1.1
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Protecting my spreadsheet

Post by jrkrideau »

How are you protecting the spreadsheet?

Are you saving in .ods and re-opening the file with Calc?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
grahamxy

Post by grahamxy »

Yes
grahamxy

Post by grahamxy »

Save as per instructions, only select the cells I want to save, it works fine until I reopen it and find nothing has been saved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

We don't have the faintest idea what you are doing. There is no feature which allows you to save selected cells only.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
grahamxy

Post by grahamxy »

I am sorry but it is you who is misinformed. Format-Cells-Cell Protection- Deselect all cells and press OK. Then reopen the same way and then select the cells you want to protect. Go to Tools -protect document and select protect and you're done. Not forgetting to check the box that says allow users to access unprotected cells.
grahamxy

Post by grahamxy »

Thank you for your reply Villeroy, I am a newcomer at this and am trying to learn as much as I can as I go, it seems I phrased the question wrong. What I want to do is HIDE the formulae not save as this is being done perfectly. Any help on this would be sincerely appreciated.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

=FORMULA(SheetX.A1) displays the formula of SheetX.A1 no matter what. A most simple macro can read and copy any content from any hidden or protected sheet.

The child protection which hides formulas is availlable on the cell protection tab of the cell formatting dialog and when I protect the sheet this option becomes active and it sticks when I save and reload. I can not reproduce your problem.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
grahamxy

Post by grahamxy »

Ok thanks for your help, I now realise it is child protection only. What I wanted to do was stop other people copying my work and/or destroying the formulas and nullifying the whole sheet. It seems no matter what I do the formula is still shown when the cell is selected, I will persevere and sort it out,