[Solved] Draw: different styles for different lines

Discuss the drawing application
fernando

[Solved] Draw: different styles for different lines

Post by fernando »

Hi all,
I've been searching this forum, and some other pages, for what I think is an easy subject wihout success.
I worked with Draw some time ago to make some easy drawings (schematics for math and physics exercises, i.e, mostly lines and geometric shapes). Now I need to do it again so I updated my old draw software. Now I have Libreoffice draw version 5.4.4 just updated.
Here is my problem: I create a line with some specific style, say, red color and arrow end. Then I want to create another line with a different color and no arrow. When I do that the new object has the same characteristics of the first one (red color and arrow), so I change that and ... the first gets modified accordingly.
I can imagine this has to do with some more or less hidden edition general setting but I haven't been able to find out where is it located.
Thank you very much in advance.
Fernando
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Libreoffice version 5.4.2.2. Windows 6.1
acknak

Re: Draw: different styles for different lines

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

You must use different styles (different names) for each distinct appearance. If you change the color in the style definition, that will automatically apply to every object that calls for that style.

It's not absolutely necessary to use a (named) style at all. You can just apply the color, line style, etc. directly. However, using named styles will make it much easier to keep a consistent appearance among different objects.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Post by erbsenzahl »

fernando wrote:I create a line with some specific style, say, red color and arrow end. Then I want to create another line with a different color and no arrow. When I do that the new object has the same characteristics of the first one (red color and arrow), so I change that and ... the first gets modified accordingly.
Hi,
either you consider and practise acknak's advice or you may pull different objects into the gallery without changing any style (create own part of gallery). These drawing objects of the gallery can be used in every other created file or Libre application.
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
fernando

(SOLVED) Re: Draw: different styles for different lines

Post by fernando »

Thank you very much for your quick reply, and I'm sorry for this basic question.
Now I realize I was doing my editing the wrong way: choosing "Edit style" instead of "Line..." to change settings in a specific object.
It looks there is really long time since last time I used draw.
Again, sorry.
Fernando
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Now I have Libreoffice draw version 5.4.4 just
There is not LO 5.4.4 version yet:
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

Always use the latest Still version. It is the LO 5.3.7 now.
The Fresh LO 5.4.x versions are for technology enthusiasts, early adopters or power users...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
fernando

Post by fernando »

OK. Trying to solve this problem one of the steps I took was update LO. So I clicked on "about" main menu option and click on "update" (whatever the exact names. Now I'm not in front of my computer), and that's the version I got.

Anyway, I'll check this out later and I will update accordingly.

Thanks a lot.
Fernando