Download speed is very slow

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
icebacon

Download speed is very slow

Post by icebacon »

Hello, I am trying to download OpenOffice 4.1.4 installer from
https://www.openoffice.org/download/

However, the download speed is below 20k/sec and saying that the total download time will be around 2 hours.
I'm not sure because of the slow download speed, the download will fail during the download.

I've tried several time, in the morning, noon, night, midnight. Also using different computers.
But every time, the download speed is similar.

It can't be the speed of the network. The actual download speed of the network is around 300k/sec.
How can I successfully download the new release installer?

Thank you.
Openoffice 4.1.3
Windows 7
RusselB

Re: Donload speed is very slow

Post by RusselB »

I don't know what to say.
I just went to the download page, and downloaded a new copy of 4.1.4 and it too about 75 seconds with a download speed of 28.09Mbps.
For a network to be running a download of 300k is, imo, quite slow.
That's about 1% of my download speed.
So if it takes 75 seconds at 28.09N and you're running at 300k, then your time should be around 1 hour 57 minutes (just about the same 2 hour mark that you specified)
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

After you're redirected to SourceForge for the actual download, you should see a question "Problem with the download?" and links to try a direct download or use a different mirror. Some mirrors are faster that others. Did you try either of those links?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Download speed is very slow

Post by John_Ha »

What you describe strongly suggests it is your PC and/or your network causing the problem.

Go to a broadband speed test site and check your download speed.

Reboot - is it better?

NB when you say 20 k/sec and 300 k/sec do you mean kbits or kbytes?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RusselB wrote:I just went to the download page, and downloaded a new copy of 4.1.4 and it too about 75 seconds with a download speed of 28.09Mbps.
I am sorry you have such a slow line - it downloads for at 37 Mbits/sec :super:

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Another thought. Refresh the download page so as to clear the old page from the browser cache.

RusselB

Post by RusselB »

@John_Ha: While my line is not the fastest, it is the best available to me based on the technology in the building that I reside.
If I wanted faster, I could get it, but I'd be looking at having to have a custom line installed, which, being on a fixed income, is not financially viable, and what I have does just fine for me.
Additionally, as I stated in my post, even my rate is about 100x that of what the OP was stating they were getting.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Russell

I was just winding you up! 8-)

I am lucky as my copper twisted pair cablerun is 800 metres from the BT green cabinet (UK), where the fibre signal arrives and is converted to a copper signal, which is then sent over 800m (estimated) of twisted pair to my house. Just before faster broadband was installed I had a problem with dropout on my line and BT ran a new overhead line to replace the underground (and probably waterlogged) line I was using. My twisted pair line to the green cabinet is therefore excellent and I get the full theoretical speed for my cable length.
Attachments
faster broadband.png