[Solved] 4.1.4 would not install; now files will not open

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
rcs3101

[Solved] 4.1.4 would not install; now files will not open

Post by rcs3101 »

I attempted to download 4.1.4. It would not install. It cited opened files that needed closing before it could complete installation. There were no opened files. Next I attempted to open files in openoffice. The options for opening file given was word pad or Microsoft office. This option had never been seen before. It always had used openoffice to open openoffice files. So I restored to the point before I attempted to download 4.1.4. Now no openoffice file will open. Please help. Thank you! rcs3101
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7
robleyd

Re: 4.1.4 would not install; now files will not open

Post by robleyd »

It would not install. It cited opened files that needed closing before it could complete installation
It is likely there was an OpenOffice process still running - perhaps the quick starter? In any case, if you get this message again when trying to install, make sure that OpenOffice is closed, then go to the Task Manager and stop any processes named soffice. You might wish to try installing 4.1.4 again with this in mind. If you do so, the install process will allow you to make set file associations so that AOO will be able to open AOO files by double click.

Otherwise, for opening files - you need to restore file associations to set OpenOffice as the default program for your relevant files. One way is; go to Control Panel | Programs | Set your default programs - wait til programs are found. You can then either choose to set OpenOffice as the default for all types of file it can open, or you can select the specific file types you want it to open. I would suggest the latter option, otherwise you may risk setting AOO as the default for some files, e.g. .htm which you may prefer to open with a web browser.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
rcs3101

Re: 4.1.4 would not install; now files will not open

Post by rcs3101 »

Thank you, David. I had a brain storm after I posted. I re-installed OpenOffice 4.1.3. It solved my problem! Peace! Rich
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7